4 gig CF card 95 mins to dump?!

quenched

<p>Hi<br>

I am trying to dump 4gig of raw images from a 1ds mk2 to my pc folder via a usb direct to the camera body, why is it telling me its going to take 90 mins?<br>

Shouldn'rt it take about 10?</p>

<p>What am i doing wrong/ how do i knock this over quickly?</p>

<p>I have a shoot in 8 hours and would love some sleep.</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<p>S</p>

<p>A. Get a card reader.<br>

B. Just leave it on... an hour and a half is slow, but its nt like you have to sit there and watch.<br>

C. Whats the speed on your card, could you get a faster one?<br>

D. Stop all other things that your HDD is working with, and see if it speeds up.</p>

<p>You didn't mention what kind of computer you're using. If you have an older computer, it's possible that some (possibly all?) of the USB ports are of the slower USB 1 variety. I have a 2000 vintage Mac. All of its original USB ports are the older variety (USB 2 didn't come along until after that computer was made). Thus, I had the same problem you have until I installed 4-port PCI based USB slot. If all your ports are USB 1, higher speed USB 2 PCI card can be bought for less than $30.00 if you look around.</p>

<p>Could be a USB 2 port with a USB 1 cable. Could be way too many USB devices or maybe a hub in the chain somewhere giving it fits. Are you saving to the same drive as the operating system? If so, get another drive for storage! In the meantime, how full is your boot drive? The possibilities are endless! But it shouldn't take 90-minutes to download a 4GB card so something is up somewhere. If it were me, I would just buy another card for the shoot- just in case there is something wrong with the card. Never hurts to have multiple cards anyway!</p>

<p>4GB / 90*60 = 750Kbyte/sec ... this is USB-1 speed.<br>

This might be the USB-Port itself (on an older computer there might still be a USB1.1 port). It might be the cable, or it might be the driver for the USB hardware.</p>

<p>It certainly has got nothing to do with the speed of the CF card or the speed of your harddrive.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why is a card reader faster than a cable if they both plug into a USB port? And how much faster?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A card reader will be dedicated to JUST reading a memory card. This tends to be faster than a camera's data transfer protocol! <br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p>I don't have the 1DsMkII but I have the 1DMkII and it doesn't transfer files through the USB port on the camera. I have to use the firewire port. It isn't as fast as a fast card reader, but it is quite speedy through the firewire. There are some problems with limited speeds under Windows WP SP2 and firewire, but it should still be fast. I suggest you investigate if there was a change in the camera between the two models for downloads, but I don't recall ever reading of the change. Interesting that all your responses are from people who don't own the camera (including me). I do use the firewire as it will also download the files directly to Canon programs to view the files and the firewire will control the camera and set personal functions. The camera comes with a firewire cable. The USB port doesn't do much on this camera.</p>

<p>1ds mk2 has usb 1.1, which is supposed to be for printing. it has firewire for intended file transfer.<br>

usb cords are backwards and forwards compatible 1-2.0<br>

you could save yourself hearache and get a firewire card if you're using a pc. i think they're really cheap now with the advent of firewire b. you could even get a firewire b card for little money. firewire b ports are backwards compatible, you just have to get a 9 to 4 pin cable. this will allow you to use firewire b card readers in the future. <br>

with a sandisk firewire b reader and extremeIII cards i get transfer rates of ~25mb/s, (peaking at ~30mb/s) with >8mb files from a 20D. I shot 1200+ images today and it took very few minutes to transfer the files.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Ok, check this, i just dumped 2 gig from the 1ds mk2 with a cable and it took almost an hour, yet if i use my 30d, a cable and a 4 gig card it takes only 10 minutes....<br /> Is it the camera?<br /> Anybody?</p>

<p>Cheers<br /> Sam</p>