Posing suggestions for group

wendyholden

<p>I am doing a family portrait session for a rather large extended family this weekend. I usually try to stay away from big posed group jobs like this but they friends and I couldn't say no. The group consists of parents, their six grown children (5 of whom have spouses) and 4 small children. In addition, one son who suffered a spinal cord injury (similar to Christopher Reeves) uses a wheelchair that is somewhat reclined. I am looking for suggestions about how to best pose this group. Space is also going to be an issue since weather will prevent us from being outside. There is a staircase with an open balcony that looks over the living room so that might be the best option. Still need help mentally laying things out. <br>

Here is a quick group shot that I did at a wedding this summer when most of the family was gathered together. http://tinyurl.com/c55p6n</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Wendy</p>

<p>The bride is gorgeous-- love to see a bride looking their best (I'm a hopeless romantic... let's not spread this around though).</p>

<p>I'd cover the wheel chair guys legs-- the reason why, skin draws attention, and you need to spread the attention out evenly. So, they all should have similar clothes. One person wears red, the rest are in blue-- Miss Scarlet get's all the attention.</p>

<p>If you can use the stairs, you can have multilevel composition that may work out really well for you. A small chair, sleigh, or divan may work in giving you some seated people next to the wheel chair. However, seating short people or overweight people may not be flattering to them-- and you'll have to correct their poster (shoulders and spine). Things to look out for.</p>

<p>Not sure what else to add? Good luck.</p>

<p>You might try shooting from the balcony down on the group, laid out in a semi-circle or curve. This way, you can put a couple of chairs next to the wheelchair--maybe two on each side, and have the people in the chairs right next, lean over so the fellow in the wheelchair's lap is pretty much covered by heads. Also, put a couple of the kids leaning up against the leg sections of the chair to cover the legs. Everyone would be looking up at you and the littlest ones need to be held in arms. The reason for this arrangement is to minimize the wheelchair (Nathan is right--it just draws attention, regardless) and not have the wheelchair occupant's head so reclined. Nobody looks good with their chin up in the air.</p>

<p>Thanks for your suggestions, I totally agree about the skin. At the wedding Steven (in the chair) didn't want the blanket on and I wasn't going to push the issue. I agree--the bride was stunning. Grabbed a candid shot of her waiting for the ceremony to begin that is one of my all time favorites. <strong>http://tinyurl.com/cogjlw<br /> </strong><br>

I took the portraits yesterday and although the situation was not ideal, I think the family will be pleased. 13 stressed out adults and 6 grumpy overstimulated babies/toddlers made it impossible to spend much time posing. I did two poses, one with me on a step ladder, using chairs and people kneeling alongside the wheelchair and the other from the balcony, which was a bit too steep of an angle for my preference. The posing is not as balanced as I would like in the first picture and there are some distracting background elements that will need photoshopping. I might even try to shift the lady in purple and family closer to the wheelchair to eliminate the fireplace grate and close the gap. These pictures are just quick proofs, will do more tinkering soon.<br>

(I suggested coordinating outfits but that wasn't even a consideration. Making the image B&W helps remedy this a bit.)<br>

I will post the finished product eventually but here are two of the proofs...<strong>http://tinyurl.com/bcg82b </strong> <strong>http://tinyurl.com/co85bx</strong></p>

<p><strong><br /> </strong></p>