Buying used DSLR bodies online - what concerns should I have?

kwest1

<p>I'm on a budget, so I'm thinking about buying a used 40D or 30D online. Is buying a used body a 'hazardous' sort of venture, or would you - if money was an issue - do so comfortably?</p>

<p>Is there anything I need to look for/ask about specifically that would indicate the camera is going to break down or have a short life?</p>

<p>I have bought well over 100 cameras on eBay, and have had very good luck overall. Most of these were "collector" cameras, to be sure, but I have got several new or recent model digital cameras (including a 20D and a 5D) off eBay with no problems.<br /> <br /> HOWEVER.</p>

<ul>

<li>You must be very careful to read the ad carefully and see what is said, and sometimes more importantly, what is NOT said.</li>

<li>You really don't want to buy anything expensive from someone who has only a few transactions. Scam artists will sometimes run up a chain of positive, small transactions to get a "record" and then dangle the bait for the "big one".</li>

<li>You also must be patient. You are unlikely to get the item you want at the price you want otherwise.</li>

<li>In any case, as people have already implied, you are unlikely to save huge amounts of money over what you would have to pay to a vendor of warranted used equipment like Adorama or B&H, etc. If this is something where you cannot afford some risk, buy from one of the major stores. It is common for uninformed buyers to actually drive eBay prices above what one would have to pay "mail-order". I have seen used equipment go for more than new prices on occasion, even.</li>

<li>Never buy from any store without checking out their ratings on <a href="http://www.resellerratings.com/">Resellerratings.com</a> . Stores like B&H, KEH, Adorama and a few others will have 9+ ratings.</li>

</ul>

<p>JDM says most of it - here are my rules of thumb:<br>

- it sounds to good to be true, it probably is<br>

- never buy something on ebay that only has a "stock image"<br>

- never buy anything on ebay from a seller with more than 1 or 2 negative ratings in the past 100 transactions<br>

- check KEH first, never buy used anywhere else for more then 80-90% of what they sell it for (because then you can just buy it from them, and you know you'll get good quality)<br>

-if you buy as is, it is as is.</p>

<p>They are rules of thumb, not absolutes.....</p>

<p>I've had pretty good luck with local sellers on craigslist.<br>

You can meet with the seller, get his address and phone number. You'll be able to ask to shoot some photos. Bring your laptop and take a look at the file or two. Google Opanda, download it, and use it to check the number of shutter clicks.<br>

And, if the seller doesn't want to go along, take from that what you will.<br>

There's nothing like seeing the item and meeting the seller face to face before you buy.</p>

<p>If you are on a budget, which means "I really can't afford to make a bad decision", ebay is not the place to buy. KEH, BHPhoto and Adorama would all be better choices, at least they all probably have reasonable return policies and may offer some sort of warranty as well.</p>

<p>Check your local camera shops, a lot of them sell used equipment, and you can see what you are buying before you part with your money. With used equipment, even new in the box on the 'bay, the original warranty is usually NOT transferable no matter what some sellers proclaim, even if they would give you the original bill of sale.</p>

<p>Kerri<br>

I think the issue with any used camera purchase is never really knowing what it has endured before it reaches your hands. At the same time, I have bought used myself with somewhat mixed results:<br>

I bought my recently re-sold Canon XTi body from a local guy via Craigslist and while I will never know if the camera had as few clicks as he claimed (<5000) it served me well while I owned it and it was very inexpensive. But, I later bought a Pentax K10D that was graded as<strong> Excellent</strong> from Adorama and it arrived in far less than excellent condition. It took quite a while to remedy the problem and I am not at all sure that I would buy from them again (<strong><em>new</em> </strong> , perhaps, but not used). As others have said, be sure of merchant's return policies before you buy.<br>

Also, be <em><strong>sure</strong> </em> of the true margin between new and used costs. With cameras (and lenses), I would say that it's almost always better just to spend the extra money for new.<br>

I have found the peace of mine to make the additional expense worth it.<br>

Cheers.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice - those were definitely things I was thinking about. I decided to take the plunge and get a new 30D from Adorama, despite that I would enjoy a couple more MP with the 40D or Rebel XSI. (Maybe I'll make an XSI a second body and use my XTi as a backup instead of renting.) I am definitely not a fan of the 'mystery' involved with whether or not something with moving parts is in good condition. I think lenses - despite the autofocus and potential IS components - are generally a safer bet. (Please correct me if that's not a correct assumption.)<br>

By the way, I've tried the website for KEH repeatedly to look at products, but for some reason I keep getting an error page. Anyone know what is wrong with their site?</p>