Recommended PC Lens for D3 at +- $1000

cpj

<p>Since the September 2008 questions about PC lenses for digital cameras generally referred to most as "ok with an FX D3" and since the PC 85 and 28 are no longer in production, I understand, does anybody have recommendation specifically for a PC lens for use with the D3 that will produce a nice 11X14 of Mont St. Michel or Notre Dame or la tour d'Eiffel, that's acceptable enough for the living room wall, but not necessarily for commercial work? Since it would be used on an upcoming casual European trip (with a tripod) and then perhaps once a year or so, I'd rather not make a heavy investment in a special purpose lens.</p>

<p>The 28mm PC-Nikkors are occasionally available on the used market and with some persistent shopping you might find a new old stock model in a shop somewhere in the world. I've been using a 28/3.5 PC-Nikkor for several years. In fact, it's my very first Nikon purchase. I bought it before I even owned a Nikon body! That lens is the specific reason I switched to the Nikon system. It's occasionally even useful on my D2H, despite not being a wide angle on that dSLR.</p>

<p>There are a couple of alternatives to a perspective correction lens:</p>

<ul>

<li>A non-PC wide angle, used in conjunction with gaining elevation.</li>

<li>Software correction for keystoning.</li>

</ul>

<p>When doing architectural studies using my TLRs (no possibility of perspective correction there), I'd often look around for a way to get some elevation for my camera. In some cases I was able to get permission from adjacent office buildings to photograph from their windows or balconies. Or I'd set up in the bed of my pickup truck. Indoors, I've used a short stepladder. The same tricks could work with any non-PC wide angle. In some cases it helps a photo stand apart from the crowd of the usual "tourist aiming camera upward" look.</p>

<p>If you do get the 28mm PC-Nikkor plan on stopping down to f/11-f/16. That's the sweet spot for mine, which isn't particularly sharp until f/5.6 and not critically sharp until f/11 for resolving fine detail. And if you decide not to keep it this model seems to hold its resale value pretty well.</p>

<p>Like Lex I have the Nikon 28/3.5 PC lens and I just started working with it. I haven't been outside yet to shoot, but practicing with it indoors it seems promising. It seems to work very well with my D700. I set manual mode/ manual focus, stop down to meter changing the shutter speed using MLU and the nifty shooting screen on the D700's monitor, then I open the lens and shoot with a remote release. The aperture control is completely manual of course by unlocking and turning the aperture ring, and the readout always says f/3.5 since the aperture is not electically linked to the camera, but I have matrix metering. I'm very pleased so far. The raw files look good but not tack sharp. I haven't tested it at f/11 yet just f/8. I'm still working out some issues with which raw converter to use so I haven't been too worried about the performance of the lens; I know I can do much better with more careful technique. I've just been basically trying to get NEFs on my computer to test raw converters.</p>

<p>Also as Lex said, I got mine at Adorama a few years ago at a great price. It was the last one they had and they were trying to unload it it seemed.</p>

<p>If you have a tripod then 11x14 should be a piece of cake with the D3. The 28/3.5 is the weakest one, the biggest problem being CA when shifted (although this doesn't necessarily show itself on medium sized prints and shooting in BW takes care of the problem). Next up is the 35/2.8 PC, which is actually a fairly nice lens. Then the 24/3.5 is a beast but a very good lens. I haven't tried the 45. The 85/2.8 Pc must be one of Nikon's best lenses, the image quality is super.<br>

Now you should think about the focal length. If you need a tele then a 85 PC is the obvious choice. For a wide, my 35/2.8 gives clearly better quality than the 28/3.5, but the latter does its job, so essentially it's a question of focal length.</p>

<p>I've used the 28 for years on film nikons and recently purchased a D700 just to use it again after a brief stint with a D80. CA is noticeable but correctable in Capture 2. <strong>Only shift within the limits of the lens</strong> (8mm vertically and 11 horizontally) and the sharpness is adequate at 11 and above. One significant advantage is how light it is compared to the more recent nikkor PC's particularly the 24 making it a pleasure to walk around with. If you practice you can get good results hand held with a gred screen turned on</p>

<p>Thank you all very much gentlemen. I found a 35mm 2.8 used in EX+ condition on KEH at $400 so I've ordered it and based what you've all said it should do the job. It has a black focus knob vs. the chrome version. Any particular difference between the two?</p>