Should I bother selling a Nikon D70 or the D80 to get D700?

elaine_dudzinski1

<p>Well, my opinion is that you should consider the lenses that you have, our want to have and how much are you willing to pay for them. how many memory cards you have from one and another. and consider the D300. less expensive, better low light performance same beautiful clean and full of information images.<br />I'm a D80 user, but still use a lot of film, it always depends on your preset gear.<br>

Keep the D80, just because it has better raw files an better overall performance.</p>

<p>cheers</p>

<p>Lenses are very expensive, I would opt for the D300 and spend more on the lenses. (no use for a D700 without a good lens)<br>

I own a D70s and am very happy with the build and picture quality, I am looking for an Nikon for my daughter who started out on a 1 year photography course, and as the course is expensive I am left with no money to buy a camera for her. BUMMER!!<br>

Question: do I lend her my D70s, or try to ask my fellow photographers for an (donation)used Nikon similar to my D70s, that way I will be able to swop lenses with her?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The D80 has better dynamic range, low ISO performance, larger viewfinder and larger and better LCD screen, and is lighter and keeps the moire under control. I thus see no reason to keep the D70 over D80. It is nice to have a APC-senor camera if you like to use telophoto lens. The D80 + the 50mm f1.8 also make a wondeful package for portraits. Sell the D70 to someone who need it.</p>

<p>"The D80 has better dynamic range" - have any proof of it ?</p>

<p>There were test graphs, where cameras dynamic ranges were compared. Questionable by some, but D50 showed better dynamic range than D80, D200, and more expensive cameras. Cited as due to larger pixel size (D50 same as D70 pixel size).</p>

<p>To be bit different, why keep any if you are minimalist as you say.</p>

<p>I now use D300 and D70 before updated last year. My D70 is a tool being used by one of my kid learning how to shoot DSLR using various modes (M, A, S) and learning about composition and effects (at 6mp, cropping becomes less and less desirable). In essence, I no longer own it...</p>

<p>Since you have D70 w/18-70 kit lens, my guess is that the lens is worth more than the body, D70 anyway. Maybe there is some value as an D70 outfit. Or why not donate to a charity or to a school and take the tax deduction in donated value? Clearly D80 can be sold for some value..</p>

<p>Just a different thought...<br /> Cheers</p>

<p>Sell it and let an enthusiastic amateur get started in digital photography with an affordable learning tool. This Christmas, I bought a (used) D70 from a friend for my high school daughter. She started photography with a (used) Nikon F65 learning basic b/w shooting, developing and printing. <br>

Now she's learning with the D70 and, happily, the several lenses we have work with the D70. Formerly an art major, I have again become interested in photography. When I realized she's going off to college in the Fall and will take the D70 with her I bought another (used) D70 body online. (We'll fight over the macro lens in the Fall). <br>

If you don't plan on using it, sell it so someone else can benefit from it. It doesn't benefit anybody sitting in the closet collecting dust while it depreciates further. </p>

<p>Sell it and let an enthusiastic amateur get started in digital photography with an affordable learning tool. This Christmas, I bought a (used) D70 from a friend for my high school daughter. She started photography with a (used) Nikon F65 learning basic b/w shooting, developing and printing. <br>

Now she's learning with the D70 and, happily, the several lenses we have work with the D70. Formerly an art major, I have again become interested in photography. When I realized she's going off to college in the Fall and will take the D70 with her I bought another (used) D70 body online. (We'll fight over the macro lens in the Fall). <br>

If you don't plan on using it, sell it so someone else can benefit from it. It doesn't benefit anybody sitting in the closet collecting dust while it depreciates further. </p>

<p>More or less I was in a similar situation, I had a D70 since and I wanted to upgrade, the choice in june 2008 was obvious: D300.<br>

D700 just shows up few days after my purchase, but was and is out of my budget, in any case: no regrets!!!<br>

What also makes me upgrade was the chance to sell my D70 to a colleague of mine, who was looking for a "cheap" DSLR, well he makes a bargain since I sold him both the body and the kit lens. Well based on my experience/needs, I really don't need a backup body, I already have a film camera F80 that I seldom use.<br>

What I'm trying to say is that: double check your really needs and if I was you I'll make money with my other body to help me buy a better one or a new lens.<br>

Regards,<br>

Vince</p>

<p>I have the 300 and sold my 200 and got a smashing 90 as a light and managable back up camera . I am thrilled with both . But my D 70 ... I had that turned into an infrared dedicated camera and it is wonderful . I had a photo from it just picked in a contest as one of 20 best of the year's submissions . Keep the 80 and turn the 70 into infrared ; it is so artsy and cool . A rebirth of my 70 ! There are on line companies that will do this for you for a fee . It was worth it for me . Thanks for the time ...</p>

• 1 year later...