Print-On-Demand for usage of my photo on a bookcover ? HELP!

laron_e

<p>So I was emailed by an author that he wanted to use one of my photos in the back cover of his book. I ask a photorapher friend as well as used an online estimator and the prices came around $650-1500 so I quoted the price of $650 to the author who is self publishing and he replied back with:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Let me consider based on what I know. Most straight payments are for publishing runs,</em><em>not Print-On-Demand (POD) now becoming popular. The model I had looked at was closer to an upfront fee (like 10% - 15%) with the rest coming as </em><em>a percentage of sales price when printed.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>What does that mean exactly.. I mean I understand what it means<em>. But has anyone ever did this or heard of it? </em>How does it work? Will I get less than the I quoted?<br>

I am very new to this.I would rather the money upfront and that's it. Or maybe I don't know what I am doing.</p>

<p>You have choices. The obvious two from my perspective.</p>

<p>Take 15% up front and x amount every time a book is sold which could add up to the 650$ (or more depending on how the deal is structured) or zip if only 5 books are sold or if you don't get paid. And what is to prevent him from replacing your image after the book takes off with another image and in theory you're out?</p>

<p>Pass on the percentage deal, say you are only interested in a buy out, and the buy out price is 650$. End of discussion. The author can decide if an equally acceptable image can be generated for less by someone else. Whether he can or not you won't be getting the 650$.</p>

<p>I find it odd that any one will shoot someone or be shot by someone and leave usage/money/ rights to later negotiation, but then I never shoot on speculation and that business model is seemingly far less common around here.</p>

<p>I've said it before and I will likely say it again. If the expectation is to be a paid photographer get paid before you take the camera out of the drawer. I believe more often than not you are far better off financially and career wise to have your money in hand - regardless of what the client may do subsequently with the images. Less drama, less BS, less time spent running the business. </p>

<p>All the people I know who self-publish do it after years of rejection from publishing companies. It's different however if you're talking about academic work. If you want to get paid a percentage, do diligent research as to how many of those books may be sold (I know this is not possible since you're speculating). <br>

The last self-publishing author I know sold to his family and his housekeeper only. He boasts his book is on Amazon (it is) but it doesn't sell.</p>

<p>By asking you to accept a percentage agreement the author/publisher is effectively asking you to share some of the risks involved in self-publication - in other words, the possibility the book does not sell at all (or it sell in low enough amounts that your initial asking fee is never achieved). As with all business ventures, this is a risk only you can evaluate sufficiently and either accept or not. If, for example, the book has - in your view - the capability of doing well, then by all means, gamble. If on the other hand it is nothing more than, say, the author's holiday snaps or something, then you can politely insist on your initial quote and if not accepted, move on.</p>

<p>But, even if you do accept the % deal, you need to hammer out an agreement that will allow you to view, independently, the sales of the book. Self-publishing systems only show sales directly to the publisher and not to anyone else, so you need to make it clear that since you're undertaking some of the risk, you need to be able to view sales volumes so that you can correctly estimate your gains. Don't rest on the other person's word.</p>

<p>As for Hannah's comment about self-publishing, I find it pointlessly derogatory and wrong. Caponigro has two self-published books and is a best-selling author. Other professional photographers have opted for self-publishing because it offers them a certain amount of flexibility not frequently (and even more so in today's stressed economic climate) encountered by publishing houses. I have made, by now, in the past 8 years, more than 10 self-published books and, while nowhere near the thousands of copies usually printed through a normal publishing-house print run, they have, through their low-volume sales, made me enough money to finance some of my equipment, trips and provided me, overall, with a nice income addition.</p>