Used D80 vs D90

luca_m.

<p>I currently have a D40. I think it's a great camera for the money. OTOH, I'm growing more and more interested in macro and nature (bird) photography, and I've invested in some decent lenses (Sigma 30mm, Sigma 150mm and Nikon 300mm with TC-1.4x).<br>

I see that used D80 bodies are selling a lot cheaper than D90 ones. It's not a big amount of money in absolute terms, I'm mostly curious about the actual differences between these two cameras. Also, would you consider a D80, or even a D90, a considerable step up from my current camera?<br>

Luca</p>

<p>As far as picture quality, probably not. Well, the D90 has newer electronics and a better noise rating, so that one might be. The big difference is the ability to focus with non AF-S lenses. They also have two control wheels which would make changing setting much faster and you wouldn't have to take your face from the camera to do it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi John, thanks for the fast reply! As far as sensor, and AF speed / accuracy are concerned, no big difference there either?<br>

I dont have (and I don't plan to buy) any non AF-S lenses, so the ability to focus with those is not an issue.</p>

<p>My opinion, the D90 is the closest step to the more professional cameras...its extremely close to a D300 as it is besides a few features and a weather sealed case. Sure the D80 is a great camera but you may as well buy the best you can afford (if that is withing your price range of course). I would go the D90 but I am bias as I have one.</p>

<p>A D90 is a pretty big step up in resolution and high ISO but unless you've got a reason you need it your D40's still got life in it, especially since you don't want any non-AFS lenses. The D90 isn't going to do much for you in macro that the D40 doesn't but the higher ISO can give you faster shutter speeds for birds.</p>

<p>Yes, if thats the current price, then get a new D80 (if you don't have the bucks for the D90)...but my point is, if you are planning to get the D90, and are not too crazy about D90's movie mode, then you can get a much better camera than D80/D90 for only $300 more... </p>

<p>The D80 is excellent for macro, but bird photography is a different can of worms. I have issues with mine and have just given up and ordered a D300. It is difficult to get really sharp shots of birds with a super tele at slow shutter speeds for several reasons. Noise shows up quite early with a D80. It is my belief that I will get acceptable results out to ISO 800 with the new camera. I really need to stick to base ISO with the D80. A vote here for the D90 for birds.</p>

<p>Especially for bird photography, the D80/D90 is a step up from the D40 - in particular the AF, which is identical in the D80 and D90. The sensor is better in the D90, so if you can swing it, get a D90. If you shoot RAW (if you aren't, then you should), you may find the small buffer of the D80/D90 limiting for bursts - this may or may not matter for the way you shoot. The D90 also has the faster frame rate over the D80 - but it means you just going to fill up that buffer faster but its write speed is also faster than the D80's. The D200 and D300 do better in that aspect. Now a used D200 is a bit less than a new D90, and the sensor is the same as in the D80 (though readout is a bit faster). In terms of higher ISO and noise, the D90 has a clear edge over the D200 - by at least on full stop. To get the best of both worlds, you would need to look at the D300.</p>