fair and reasonable cost to adjust Mamiya 7 rangefinder

ryan_pasia

<p>In response to a question that I had posted earlier, the Mamiya 7 was recommended. However, I have read many reviews indicating that the Mamiya 7's rangefinder requires frequent adjustments at considerable cost if done by a pro.</p>

<p>If I were to go buy a used outfit, I think it's quite likely that an adjustment would be required. On that note, how much does it usually cost per fix? Also, can someone please recommend a place for such adjustments in New York City?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I am not shure if the adjustment problem is a M7 or a RF problem. It is not that long ago that I did buy my beloved M6 MF with a 75mm lens. Both in very very good conditions. Also a got a 150mm lens as I like those tele more than normal and wide lenses.<br /> But that source was not that confidential as the camera's source. So my fear that something does not fit in the way I like was high. Espacially as I heard about your mentioned problems too.<br /> But - never the less - everything was fine and works 100% perfect. So your chances are not less than 50:50 that you may not need any service.</p>

<p>My rangefinder (on a Mamiya 7II) needed adjustment when it was purchased. I sent it to Precision Camera Works (http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/). They did a great job in just a couple of days. I suggest you contact them to get an estimate -- I just can't remember how much I paid. You can also do it, but it's likely you will break a piece of the cover that will be only cosmetic damage (I elected not to do this). Finally, I've read a number of posts from Mamiya 7 owners who used their cameras hard for many years without requiring a rangefinder adjustment. I just take care when changing lenses; that's when the rangefinder is most vulnerable. I don't consider the rangefinder to be something that requires frequent adjustment (that's after 3 years so far).</p>

<p>Adjusting the rangefinder is very easy and takes very little time. I should know, because I had to adjust mine a half dozen times or more in the short time I owned that camera! Just google "how to adjust Mamiya 7 rangefinder" and you'll find the info. You do it through the small plug in the back of the top of the camera. Just pop it out w/ a little screwdriver and peer inside and you'll see the screw(s). Make sure you have a good screwdriver that fits correctly and you're halfway there. Just don't expect it to stay adjusted. I never took the lens off mine or did anything rougher than slinging it over my shoulder on a strap and it still would go out now and then.</p>

<p >Hi Ryan</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Before ripping in and setting about adjusting your M 7II be aware that the warnings posted with the various posts on “How To” are very serious warnings.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also some range finders are safer/simpler to adjust the M 7II is not.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If your are the kind of person who has a dozen or so small and miniature screw drivers that have been ground to fit particular screw heads, 15 x loupe, some ground glass and have spent time inside a camera or other bits of fine machinery then here are couple of tips.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Set the camera up on a really solid tripod at a comfortable working height where you have infinity and several shorter distances in view so you can come back and check and recheck your final adjustment. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Be very careful how you use solvent to dissolve the thread locking paint/lock tight. BE CERTAIN THAT YOU HAVE REMOVED THE LOCK TIGHT, before attempting to make adjustments and ha ha one of the screws is a floating one so you will need a pretty much prefect fitting screw driver as it is not good press into the screw to gain grip. I understand that that is when things get bent and it may be that those have to readjust their cameras on a regularly may have bent something ?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I did mine because I had no option other sending it overseas.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Best Regards</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Rob </p>

<p>Rob, I am certainly not one gifted with fine motor skills--or at least fine enough for the kind of adjustments needed. I also don't have a loupe or any small screwdrivers.</p>

<p>It's probably a safe bet that, if I were to get a Mamiya that requires adjustment, I will be sending it out to the pros!</p>

<p>My Mamiya 7 has never had the rangefinder come out of alignment in the four years I have been using it. And I do not treat cameras very carefully, worrying more about what I have to do to get the shot. I don't think my Mamiya 7 has ever been on a tripod, always in my hand.<br>

My Zeiss Ikon 35mm has had the rangefinder come out of alignment twice in less than two years. I just had my friendly local camera repair wiz tweak it back. It took about 10 minutes the first time because he had to learn how it differed from a Leica. The second time took about 5 minutes. I can't tell you a price because he never charges me.</p>