Rename program as easy as Nikon View

<p>Hi<br>

I updated Windows XP with SP 3 and Nikon View now crashes and burns as soon as I open it. Before that it was fine. I uninstalled SP3 but NV still crashes the second I open it. I have uninstalled NV and then downloaded the latest available Nikon View but this still crashes as well. Is there a small uncomplicated program that renames files as easily and quickly as NV ? With NV I could write whatever I wanted and the naming convention was just perfect for what I want. I have already tried Picasa and Rename4u and dont like either interface or they cant do the same job as NV. Any help / suggestions appreciated?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>SP3 is full of bugs, which is why you are the only one I know who admits to installing it. Still, it should work.</p>

<p>Beyond what you've already done, the usual route is to disable various startup programs and services until you get some relief. Try booting up in SAFE mode, and see if NV starts. If it does, the proceed to troubleshooting startup and service issues. If you don't know what you're doing, get help from a friend.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help - I have downloaded and installed CK Rename which is brilliant for what i want. Its only a rename unlike NV which has editing features and choices for changing file sizes. Warning to anyone - be very wary about installing SP3.<br>

The good thing about CK Rename is the updated preview of what your image name will be before it actually completes the operation.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>Hi again - I received a virtually instant response from Nikon support as follows:<br>

"Dear Peter,<br /> <br /> Thank you for contacting Nikon Asia Technical Support. Your case has been forwarded to us.<br /> We will assist you from here.<br /> <br /> Unfortunately the old Nikon View will not function on SP3. "<br>

So there you go !<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Peter, I also like MultiFile Renamer, I don't know if it does the things you want it to, but it is also integrated into the windows shell so you can right click a folder and batch rename with ease. Basically you can replace, capitalize, insert text at any position, delete portions, swap text (flip the date to the front, etc.) - and it shows a preview of the filename. Once you have your settings you can go from folder to folder renaming without entering them again, for that session.</p>

<p>http://sourceforge.net/projects/multifilerename/</p>