Massive Dev Chart for Paper Developing

<p>One would have limited usage if compiled... That's why you make test strips when printing-to find out the proper time. Development is usually carried out to completion which is either 2-3 minutes for fiber paper or as little as 1 minute with some RC papers (this is for standard dilution. different printing processes/slow or diluted developers will take longer, sometimes much longer. If you can see that the paper has developed sufficiently then it's okay to remove it.)</p>

<p>If you're just starting out you can learn by experience. Paper is cheap and if it takes you three test strips to get the time right so be it. Just remember that less light/time makes a lighter image. That confuses some people at first because it's a negative printing process.</p>

<p>B&W print development is usually "to completion", which varies a bit depending on paper, developer and temperature. As Nicholas noted, it's usually around a minute or so with RC papers, 2-3 minutes with fiber papers.</p>

<p>Some fiber papers and developers can take a bit longer, so be sure to test. The slowest developing combination I've tried was the now discontinued Luminos pearl finish warmtone grade 2.5 paper in Alta ZonalPro warmtone developer. That could take 4-5 minutes.</p>

<p>Agitation seems to have relatively little influence. Unlike film development, continuous, aggressive, or gentle occasional agitation doesn't seem to appreciably influence print development.</p>

<p>So after testing your preferred combination of paper and developer in an open tray, you should be able to safely transfer the same technique to drum processing. I tried the drums for awhile but eventually found the process no more convenient than open tray processing for prints up to 16x20.</p>

<p>Lex, i actually purchased the Jobo because my main objective is to print 16x20 regularly. I have a 2850 drum for that purpose. Yesterday i did my first test using a fine grain 6x6 negative. I used Dektol 1:2 dilution on Foma Variant Speed III matte paper. Wow, i like to play with that toy! I developed for 1:30 minutes and the result was pretty much acceptable. Kind of darkened but i guess i overexposed it a little on the enlarger. One thing i disliked though was the texture of the Foma matte paper. Very thin and soft, looks like a commercial print you find anywhere for U$ 9. Think i will try Ilford 16x20 glossy next.</p>

<p>For large prints like those, you will probably find the drum useful. My darkroom was tiny and I used a single tray for large prints: pour in developer, agitate, pour developer back into holding container; stop bath; fixer; then HCA, toning, etc. Not fun. So a drum will be useful for a smaller darkroom where there's no counter space for several large open trays.</p>

<p>Before committing to a full size 16x20 print, make generous test prints. Even if you use a full sheet of 8x10 paper to evaluate certain areas, it'll be worthwhile.</p>

<p>BTW, I'm not sure what you meant by "I developed for 1:30 minutes." Was that a typo?</p>

<p>Sorry, i meant 1minute + 30 seconds. My darkroom, which is a tiny room unders some stairs doesn´t have any space left. Not even for the Jobo. Also poor ventilation so i could never use it for chemicals. This is also the reason i need to use the processor for smaller prints. So i placed the Jobo next to a bathtub, pretty much relieving when i get out of the darkroom to develop some prints...and breath some air.</p>