Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm - Extention?

dave_gold

<p>Hello all,<br>

I've just bought <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SQyB">Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm</a> lenses.<br>

It is really good, very sharp, the only problem that the focusing distance is very short...<br>

Is it possible to extend it by adding some teleconverter or so?<br>

If yes, which will be the most suitable?<br>

I am planning to take phjotos of small insects...</p>

<p>Thanks a lot,<br>

David.</p>

<p>If you mean that the distance from the lens to the subject is short when you focus on a small subject then you need a longer macro lens. With a film camera or a full frame DSLR a 55mm lens will give very little working distance at 1:2 (no tube) or 1:1 (with a tube). A 105mm macro lens will give you almost twice the working distance. </p>

<p>¿ƃuıʇɔǝdxǝ noʎ ǝɹǝʍ ʎןʇɔɐxǝ ʇɐɥʍ ˙1:1 ʇɐ ɯɯ011 puɐ '2:1 ʇɐ suǝן ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ɯɯ051 punoɹɐ ǝq ןןıʍ ǝɔuɐʇsıp ʇɔǝɾqns ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ suɐǝɯ ɥɔıɥʍ 'suǝן ɯɯ55 ɐ ǝʞıן sǝsnɔoɟ ʇı puɐ 'suǝן ɯɯ55 ɐ ʇɥƃnoq ǝʌ,noʎ ˙ʇɥƃıɐɹʇs sıɥʇ ʇǝƃ oʇ ˙ɯɹǝ. <i>Moderator's note: Upside down, backward text. Making the world safe from gratuitous sarcasm and non-answers. Because, as my pappy used to say, "Sonny, sarcasm is the devil's tool."</i></p>

<p>To answer the question. Yes you can add something like the Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter to it (one of the best teleconverters I've ever used, and that's including Nikon's TC201) but then you'll have the equivalent of a rather second-rate 110mm f/7 lens, and lose that legendary Micro-Nikkor sharpness.</p>

<p>If I interpret your question correctly, then you want to get larger magnification and be further away from the subject? Indeed you should consider the 105 Micro. If you want larger mag, think of bellows, but that will put you really close to the subject - probably not practical if your insects are alive :)<br>

However, check out these <a href="http://www.mattclara.com/misc/D70/D70_PB5_Bellows.html">images</a> , apparently taken with the Micro and bellows<br>

<br /> Here is an example of the 55 Micro mounted on PB bellows..... (it's the serial number imprint on my Leica close up)</p><div>00SSKs-109805884.jpg.f5f068264ec690507252ca4fdeb61d33.jpg</div>

<p>The standard extension tube for the early (pre-AI) 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor was the M2. Just a hollow tube with levers to operate the aperture. No optics. This increased the magnification to 1:1 and decreased the focusing distance. So an extension tube won't solve the problem you asked about.</p>

<p>What will help is a teleconverter. While there are many, including some decent cheap ones from Vivitar, Kiron and others, I can recommend the now discontinued Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter. Be sure to look for the 2x macro focusing version. It will have magnification guides marked on the barrel, just like your Micro Nikkor. Excellent optics and will retain macro focusing capabilities along with giving you the equivalent to a 110mm telephoto.</p>

<p>Caution: Either solution, whether an extension tube or teleconverter, will decrease the maximum effective aperture. With the 2x teleconverter you'll have a verrrry slow 110mm macro lens. It will work fine outdoors in bright light, but indoors you'll desperately need very bright continuous lights to illuminate your subject in order to compose and focus. But this is no different from any comparable macro or micro setup, including the use of a bellows. Takes a lot of light to play this game.</p>

<p>While we are talking about teleconverters, there is the Panagor Auto Macro Converter. The Panagor also contains a helicoid but it makes your lens usable only in the close-up range. With the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter you can also use a lens at infinity but a 110/7 at infinity isn't very useful. If you can find one at a good price the Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focusing is very nice. It goes down to 1:2 by itself and with very good working distance.</p>