CF card, cable release and remote trigger for 5D Mark II

yanzhang

<p>I just put my order of 5D Mark II body today, and I'll get it very soon. I have some questions regarding the accessories for my 5D Mark II:<br>

(1) CF Card. I have read some threads about this issue. I plan to buy a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash Card. But I am not sure if this is a good option. I will mainly shoot in both Raw and JEPG formats in landscape photography,and sometimes will use 5DMark II to shoot videos for family events. So will a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III be suitable for my purpose?<br>

(2) I definitely need a Cable Release for long exposure. The shop manager recommended me a Canon RS80N3 cable release, and said that will be suit for my 5D Mark II. Currently I have RS60-E3 for my Canon 400D body, the manager said that does not fit for 5D Mark II. Can someone give me a confirmation whether Canon RS80N3 cable release is a right one for 5D Mark II?<br>

(3) Last, I asked the shop manager about remote trigger for 5D Mark II, he said 5DMark II has no such thing, it has to come with a whole remote control gear separately which costs AUS$500. Can someone tell me if this is true? Currently I use RC-1 for my 400D body for remote trigger shutter purpose. I wish to get a similar thing without too much cost for my 5D Mark II.</p>

<p>Thanks very much in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure about 1 and 2. However, with regard to 3, Canon has an annoying habit of leaving off some of these nice features on the mid and high-end cameras, forcing you to buy obscenely priced accessories. However, there is a thriving aftermarket industry that seems to live on Ebay. Do a search for auction 390030624272. I don't know if it's any good, but the price is certainly easier to stomach. Also search for a cable release there. It'll be a lot cheaper.</p>

<p>1- I use without any problem Transcend 32 Gb 133x. Cheap. Perfect for video, including HD.<br>

2- Canon RS80N3 works. Cheapest equivalents can be found from Asia but sometimes with bad wire quality.<br>

3- RC-1 works perfectly with EOS 5D Mark II. RC-5<br>

I would suggest that while waiting for your body to arrive, you read Canon's manual which you can download from their website. You will have the feeling that time waiting is faster :-)<br>

Cheers.</p>

<p>Jean-David</p>