Rolleiflex TLR Eveready Leather case repair

zarrir_junior

<p>Unfortunately, once leather begins to tear there is little you can do about it, there is no magical fix. You could soften the leather a bit with leather-nourishment products but it's not a lasting solution. The only thing after this is searching the E-bay for a mint replacement.</p>

<p>I've done what I think is an acceptable fix by glueing a strip of material - if possible matching the case lining - on to the inside of the "hinge". Use clear silicone glue which maintains flexibility - at least this stops it from getting worse.<br>

I think one good thing about the Japanese TLR's is that the cases generally have detachable fronts. I've often thought of doing this with a Rollie case perhaps with a strip of leather and press studs, but my leather working skills are non existent as you might conclude from the above.</p>

<p>Get in touch with <em >Antique Optics</em> 412 N. 23rd St. Richmond, VA 23223 <strong >...</strong> That's <em >Malcolm Addoms (</em><em >an odd spelling but a great guy) who will fix your Rollei case. Google him for his email. Malcolm is a well-known dealer in binoculars and telescopes of the 19th Century. If you think your Rollei case is worn out, what do you thing happens to a binocular case made in 1842? Well, as a result, Malcolm long ago took up restoration of leather binocular and telescope cases in order to sell his antiques. And he even makes them from scratch if necessary. He has fixed lot of Rollei cases. And I know him well and have dealt with him for more than 20 years, so you can tell him "Peter sent me."</em></p>

<p><em ><br /></em></p>

<p>John, that was the idea on my mind. I thought of getting a thin leather strip to glue it inside the hinge. Do you think the silicone glue will hold it? Or should it be stitched there? Good reference to the Yashicas. Japanese copy and perfect almost everything. Even german Rolleiflex technology for LEATHER CASES (no flames, please, i said LEATHER CASES).<br>

Peter, unfortunately I am too far away from Malcolm to give him a try. But excellent tip anyway.</p>

<p>Zarrir<br>

To some extent it will depend on what they have used for the lining, and how well it is still attached. If it is cloth (like mine) I just glued a strip over the existing lining - the silicone glue holds it fine. If the inner lining is leather then the whole thing may end up too stiff and prevent the front from hanging down. Thinking about it mine was the upper hinge, where the front flap attaches and this doesn't need to be too flexible.</p>

• 1 month later...