Just in the final step of chosing a printer

<p>Sorry I'm making so many posts here about finding printers, this is my third one, but I think I've finally narrowed it down. I just discovered the Canon Pro 9000. I was set on the Epson R2880 before this, but for $200 cheaper, and I am a not-so wealthy college student, this might be an excellent idea. I was wondering what you guys thought about it.. Should I go for the Canon Pro 9000, or should I spend an extra $200 for the Epson R2880. They both seem very similar, which is why this is posing such a dillemma for me. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Omar-I am not familiar with Canon printers so I can't comment on them but I have an Epson (my 3rd) and the 2880 has a great reputation. If you are trying to save money (I know all about that!) see if you can find a 2400 at a good price or, if you plan to just do colour-especially on glossy paper-check out the Epson 1900; that's what I use and it is a very good printer. ok-I see that you have already been through the 2400/2880 issue so check out the 1900 if you're just into (glossy) colour. cb :-)</p>

<p>Can't say anything good or bad about that Canon printer (I had an IPF 5000 which wasn't so wonderful). I have a 2880 and its a superb printer. Very fast, great quality. Tiny ink carts but heck, that's par for the course. </p>

<p>Check out ink cart sizes and prices. It might end up costing less for the Epson, but I seriously don't know. These guys make all the money on ink and media. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I'd also recommend the Epson refurb site. Everything current shows up there but they go very quickly. If you don't see what you want keep going back twice a day until you do. They operate a bit differently than the main Epson store for warranty, any problem with the printer and they will just immediately ship you another. It won't have original packaging but everything is moldable foam packed and all the paperwork, carts, discs, accessories, etc., will be there.</p>

<p>Second the Epson refurbs. I've gone through maybe a dozen Epson refurb printers over the years and every single one has been as good as new. My most recent purchase was a 1400 at just $150. This is a wide carriage injket, and prices don't get better than this.</p>

<p>By the way, don't get the idea that the Epsons don't last. Rather the refurb packages are often cheaper than replacement ink cartridges. When the cartridges run dry, it often makes sense to just throw the entire printer out and unpack a new one from storage.</p>

<p>I had the chance to have a canon 9500 or something like that for 1 week to test it against a epson 2400..and man, after this hell week i will never get a canon (for now anyway) It print not neutral bw, the yellow cart keep clogging, the color where inconsistant from print i made (same one) every morning?!</p>

<p>Maybe it was just this one, but it just didtn cut it vs my epson. If you onle want color print wth no bw print possible (possible mean hugly result) get a 1400 as Robert suggest, the 2400 / 2880 is a serious printer for serious amateur and professional who demand the very best print..maybe you dont need that?</p>

<p>Right, I haven't been able to get a neutral B&W print from the Claria ink models like the 1400 on glossy surfaces. However, it is able to nail the tone accurately on matte papers - neutral prints when desired, but also pretty good split toned prints as well.</p>

<p>In any case, it does look like that the 1400 might be least expensive way into the stratum of highest quality B&W printing. I've been thinking about the Piezography K6 CIS. The prints I've seen are truly beautiful. I'm just not sure I personally print enough to make it worthwhile...</p>

<p>I have had the 9000 for over 4 years, the only thing is that the bottom part of the feeder can not be cleaned properly, so occassionaly I will get streak marks on the bottom of the paper. Two years ago, I purchased the 9500 and no problems. Used to have one of those top of the lines Epson got rid of the Epson after one year. Constant problems with it. You did not mention that it was black and white printing only so I am assuming that most your prints will be in color. In no way am I indicating that my black and whites are not to my liking. If I was doing almost all black and white, I would purchase the Canon printer made for black and white images.</p>

<p>Have you thought about the Epson 3800? It can be had for around $1200, plus theres a $200 rebate, and there is already approx $400 worth of ink in it. So it's a '$600' printer that does wide format to 17", prints as long as 37.4", excels at B&W, and it even makes you breakfast in the morning when you're hungover. Wait, that last part was a dream.</p>

<p>You may find the 2880 slurps up ink in the long run, don't know what your printing volume will be.</p>

<p>Pigment inks, not dye. For B&W, three shades of black. Epson just because of a much broader selection of profiles for various papers by various manufactures of paper. Use only Epson inks. See <a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R2880.html">THIS</a>, or maybe the <a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R2400.html">R2400</a>?</p>

• 1 month later...