Secrets of Hi and Lo

damon_macleod

<p >I recently purchased a D90, though alas I’m still waiting for it to come in the mail. Anyway, I was reading up on the Nikon site, and the D90 ISO catch phrase is “Rich color and low noise from ISO 200 to 3200.” Reading a little further, Nikon tells you that there is also a Hi mode (ISO 6400) and a Lo mode (ISO 100.)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Now maybe it’s just the nitpicky analytic philosopher in me…but can I assume that I <em>shouldn’t</em> expect rich color and low noise in the Hi and Lo modes? This would make sense for ISO 6400, but why would there be any distortion at ISO 100? Perhaps Nikon thought that the Hi mode would be lonely without a Lo mode, so they added one in for kicks, when really the optimum ISO range is 100 to 3200?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thoughts?</p>

<p>the high mode pushes the sensor further than Nikon probably feels most people find use-able. The low setting tricks the sensor into being half as sensitive. In short, ISO 100 doesn't look as good as ISO 200 so there is little reason to ever use it. If you need longer shutter speeds and can't stop the lens down further, a ND filter will work better.</p>