AE-1 porduces random Yellow Streaks?

mike_keiser

<p>i have a 1971 canon ae-1 and on several pictures Ive noticed it has produces yellow streaks. Heres an example:<br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf..." target="_blank">http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...</a><br>

It was developed at Wal Mart and Walgreens and both had the same problem-they also said there was something like water on it or something. tried different films but nothing helped<br>

<br />Any idea as to what causing this,and a possible fix for it?<br />It happens on random photos,not sequential ones-someone suggested light leak, yet anothe person raised the issue that light leak would be sequential and a shutter problem would more likely be the culprit.Thoughts?Thanks</p>

<p>Well first of all the AE 1 wasn't introduced till '76. Other than that I want to guess that since it has a horizontal travel shutter, maybe it is shutter drag or stutter. In which case a CLA would fix it.<br>

<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1976-1985/1976_ae1.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=a">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1976-1985/1976_ae1.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=a</a></p>

<p>There is a very good chance that the problem is not with your AE-1. It looks like a kind of 'bromide drag' due to very inadequate agitation in the developer. Those lines look like areas where the developer 'succeeded' in being efficient - the sprocket holes which allow developer to flow onto the emulsion more freely. I agitate CONTINUOUSLY: never allowing developer to be more efficient in certain film areas. Fixation and blix are not as important to agitate so efficiently because those processes are done to completion unlike development which must 'stop the race with all members being at the same point'. - David Lyga.</p>

<p>What I find odd is that the OP says it is on different rolls of film, processed at two different places. Also it occurs on random frames and not sequential. That is why I think possibly intermitent shutter drag, causing the areas of overexposure. But then thats just a guess.</p>

<p>It would be useful to see a scan of the the affected neg area in question in total. A clean rebate edge might indicate a shutter issue but from the look of the image I'll bet dollars-to-dimes the rebate edge is fogged also. Mike, can you show or tell if the sprocket edge area also shows the artifacts?</p>

<p>Mark (and others) are probably right - this looks like a film issue. It may be the devoper but I do not think so. My guess is that this film is either very old or has gone through an airport machine. There is a new type of airport machine (in some airports) where you do not need to unpack your laptop but which is very harmful to film. My best guess though is very old film that may well have sat in direct sunlight for a long time.</p>

<p>Definitely NOT developer/agitation lines. There are only 8 sprocket holes per frame, and I count 14 lines! I've never seen a dev streaks that went clear across the film the way these do. Also, several of the stripes are not evenly spaced....<br>

<br /> I''ll bet you a beer it's sticky shutter curtain!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The sample you posted shows stress damage to the film. After exposure, the film has been reverse wound in the cassette prior to processing. It is common to see this effect when the film spool is held stationary while the cassette is wound in reverse around it. I.E. 'fiddling' with the cassette after removal from the camera. It can also happen if the film is rewound in reverse when unloading the camera. The stress to the film substrate will cause dark vertical streaks on the film which on color film will show a color cast.</p>

<p>The Canon cameras all rewind in the clockwise direction. Remove the next roll from the protective can and place immediately into the camera and advance to frame 1. Expose the film as usual. The rewind clockwise until the leader is inside the cassette. Remove it from the camera and do not rotate the cassette or the spool inside further. (I am stressing this for clarity.) Have it processed. These marks will not be there.</p>

<p>From my lab days, I've seen this hundreds of times. What is happening is as the film is reveresed, it folds back on itself. Check your handling technique and you should have no further problem.</p>