How is this background created?

<p>Hey all. As always let me start by thanking you in advance for your help in learning more about my love of photography. I have seen this background applied in different ways to several photos and would really like to know how it is done. I have both Lightroom and CS3 for what its worth. I would love to be able to do this and I do have some experience with PP, however the deeper the explanation the more greatful I will be. :) Thanks again for your time.</p>

<p>I almost looks as if it is some kind of double exposure. Notice the back of the lady`s arm.<br>

You can do it in photoshop with layers and erasing the center to the background. The dark edges are a burn in or a fabric border.</p>

<p> <a href="http://www.cgtextures.com/">http://www.cgtextures.com/</a></p>

<p>Look at the Persian rugs and other fabrics. Consider blending some together.</p>

<p>I agree it is done in PS. Look at the top of her hair. You can see a pattern from the rug on her hair. Combine the two pics in PS. This will create one image with two layers. Add a mask to the top layer. Reduce opacity of top layer to 50% so you can see what you are doing. Paint away the part of the top layer you do not want to see with a soft edged black brush. pat</p>

<p>My GUESS is a texture layer applied in 'Lighten' mode. Probably some painting on a layer mask as well. If I were to try to duplicate it, I would photograph the model against a black background. I would create (or download) an appropriate texture (you could photograph some fabric) whose values are mostly darker than the model/drapery. Apply in 'Lighten' mode. Add a layer mask and remove any excess texture.</p>

<p>It looks to me like a relatively straight forward texture applied via a layer to the original photo then adjusted for opacity.<br>

Also the area of layer over her face has then been erased so the original image shows through at this point and is not obscured by the overlaying texture layer. It most likely also has the blending mode experimented with as the above post suggests. There also appears to be a second (or maybe third or fourth) layer applied with a vignette effect and border effect applied.) There are lots of articles on the Web about how to do this. (Google something like "layer photoshop texture" and see what you find.)<br>

I am still a little inexperienced with layers and find them a bit confusing sometimes so I often still avoid using them unless I really have to. However I think based on what I have seen that this is one circumstance where a layer would be easier than any other technique to achieve this outcome.</p>