Big fashion shoot - Don't know the questions to ask

rochelle_negle

I am a natural light family photographer and over the last year I have done 4 fashion shoots for clients. I.E. -

a bikini line, a hair accessory line.

I just got a call from a rather big company who saw my work and loves my style. They want to fly me out to their

location to shoot their look book and images for national campaigns. I think this is a huge opportunity for

me...I want to be honest with them as well as to what my capabilities are but still display a confidence in my

work. The owner of the company emailed saying he loves my style & taste and trusts me..but on the flip side there

is a big difference between family portraiture & commercial fashion photography.

They want to shoot about 50-70 looks with 7-10 models and perhaps do a couple mini session with some famous

basketball players.

I am looking for ANY help I can get on how to propose the project, how to price, what to expect, what to be

prepared for ...anything!!

<p>Have confidence, if they trust you then that's all that matters. Stay true to you, don't run out and buy a ton of gear. Don't underprice, asking for too much isn't a crime and is always worth a shot. See if a hair stylist and makeup artist are on scene, if not try to get some. Make sure you keep all photo rights, and bring backup gear. That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure more will come to me</p>

<p>I don't know enough about your shoot to suggest prices, but the big thing is YOU are in charge. Be the commander of the project. Be sure everyone knows what you expect ahead of time. Have a meeting ahead of time with everyone to talk about your shoot. NEVER give up your experience and control by "being honest" with the client about your experience. They like your work, and that's all that matters. Now go charge what you're worth.</p>

<p>Congratulations on the job!!</p>

<p>Well if they love your work that much i can only say one thing.</p>

<p>Do what you do and if they bring anything up ..<br>

say this is how i shot all of my other work, and you loved it ;)<br>

(not in a mean snobbish kinda way.. but in a fun friendly artistic kind of way)</p>

<p>Be confident and do what you do.</p>

<p>I can't help you on the pricing.<br>

What are you worth.<br>

Don't undercharge.<br>

keep all the rights to your photos. If they want the rights charge triple if not more.</p>

<p>And while you are there network your butt off. bring lots of business cards.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>A fair way to estimate is to calculate your costs and double the amount plus add whatever will be the hourly amount you get paid for your other work (if you want to bump up the rates because this is a high profile shoot, that is fine).</p>

<p>Since you have not mentioned your country and location, not one can give you any ballpark idea. You may get some more specific help if you mention your general vicinity.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>lookbook and national campaing is 2 different thing...you can easily do all the lookbook shot in 1 day, let say 2000$ for you + assistant + hair + makeup + stylist + location + lunch + meal & hotel.</p>

<p>The national campaing should be another day by itself, 2000$ for you + a fee for the usage nationwide; internet, new paper, magazine, billboard? have to be define and for HOW LONG + assistant + hair + makeup + stylist + location + lunch + meal & hotel.</p>

<p>Congratulation for the job, but on the other hand i think the client ask a lot to a new guy....a lot of pressure far from taking family pictur when $$$$$ are on the line.</p>

<p>Also, make sure you ask / request 3 really really important thing;</p>

<p>1_get 50% up front before pressing the button</p>

<p>2_the rest COD on delivery of the final images.</p>

<p>3_let the team bill the client directly, but make that clear when you book them..not after.</p>