safe to photograph Brooklyn bridge after dusk?

markrupert

<p>Even though I don't live in NY - Have been there enough though - I would not reccomend doing it by yourself. Find someone or multiple someones to go with you. There's usually safety in numbers.</p>

<p>I've been in situations after dark (by myself) that I now realize - I got out of only because of a) quick thinking b) I had a really cheap camera (not a Lecia, Nikon or Canon) and c) Dumb luck.</p>

<p>I've learned that relying on those three things don't always cut it...even outside of NYC. </p>

<p>So - advice still stands - find people to go with you. If you must go it alone - scout out the area first. Preferably from a car. If you have multiple cameras - use the one that you care least about, don't carry a lot of CC's in your wallet (1 plus drivers license) and a little cash...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Carry camera in hand or hanging from hand with strap wrapped three times around wrist. This will prevent a snatch and run, which is what I belive the most popular M.O.. Carry two wallents. A mugging wallent with $20-30 expired CC's ID's etc in hip pocket and real wallet somewhere else. Forn NYC or on bridge I would not worry at all. On Brooklyn side I would just be alert. Two people is a good idea. One shots while the other watches. That's what me and the wife do.</p>

<p>Make sure they don't close the park at dusk. If the park's open there may well be a ranger there and if so you can expect a visitation to ensure that you're not photographing for a commercial purpose. Although I've been to this spot and area several times without feeling remotely threatened, I haven't been there after dark so I can't comment on that aspect.</p>

<p>Its likely to be safer ( or maybe even safer) a half hour before sunrise, and indeed sunrise is good that side of Mnahattan since it catches the dawn sun. </p>

<p>The more important question is , is Brooklyn safe?<br>

NYC has anti gun gun laws so you will be safe as sitting on your favorite chair. We have these in Chicago also and there were only 543 murders last year. NYC only had 400 and something and a larger polulation base.</p>

<p>A few things will keep you safer and get you better pics. Cold weather, early evening before it gets really dark so the lights are on, but there is still blue in the sky. By dawn those that will do you harm are are long gone. Ever notice why the police do raids at 5 AM? </p>

<p>You should really look in the anti terrorist laws. Bridges are targets of the nasties so I believe photography is banned.</p>

<p>The Mayor's Film Office seem to have not told everyone what the rules are in New York. Assuming the park or other locations aren't "closed," there's no reason to not take pictures. But like any urban location, it might make sense to check locally as to whether having companions would be a good idea, best places to park or otherwise get there, etc.</p>

<p>Ron is right, if I have to travel into a less desireable neighborhood, everyone is back home and asleep by dawn. Get there just before dawn, good light, street lights may be on, sky will be gradually getting bluer, possibly some fog or rain for atmosphere, fewer people in general, and most bad guys sleeping after a hard nights work. Like mom used to say, nothing good happens after midnight- but that is over just before dawn. </p>

<p>Mark:<br>

While on vacation last October, I spent 4 evenings at the Brooklyn bridge park. I had all of my camera gear and my tripod. I felt quite safe and was never approached by the "tripod" police. As a matter of fact, I was never approached about taking photos anywhere in the city. There are obvious "no tripod" zones like the observation deck of the empire state building. As expected, you can not set up a tripod on a busy sidewalk. Overall, NYC is a photographer-friendly city. It is also one of the safer cities for a photographer.</p>

<p>For future reference of other photographers, this was my experience.<br>

I was out at twilight last night and the night before without any problem at all. There are two different parks side-by-side in this area between the bridges (Brooklyn Bridge on the left side & Manhattan Bridge on the right as you face across the river from Brooklyn). The area on the Brooklyn Bridge side is a New York State park (Empire- Fulton Ferry State Park), is patrolled by a NYS park ranger, but closes after dusk (the ranger clears the park). On the Manhattan Bridge side it's called Brooklyn Bridge Park, is patrolled by NYPD (one trundled by in a little scooter as I was shooting), and stays open past twilight. Nothing menacing at all on either night. On both nights there were other photographers who stayed later than I did. Of course at this time of year, we're talking about 6:30 - 7 pm, so that's not real late. But I would not hesitate to shoot there again at twilight.</p>

<p>Here's a link to one of my HDR images from that shoot:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fourthstooge/3290518233/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/fourthstooge/3290518233/</a><br>

Thanks to all who answered.<br>

mark</p>

<p>Mark (and anyone else interested) - for future reference: you could also go to the Fulton Ferry landing, still on the Brooklyn side, but south of the bridge. That is open any time and is perfectly safe - the 5-star restaurant River Cafe is right there, as is Grimaldi's (consistently rated NYC's best pizza) and a handmade ice cream shop. This part of Brooklyn is called DUMBO, btw.</p>

<p>You could also go a few blocks up into Brooklyn Heights (again, perfectly safe) and take shots of the bridge and Manhattan's financial district (and even the Statue of Liberty in the distance, to the south) from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. </p>

<p>And for the record, DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights are among the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC, and are as safe as you could expect from any big city, particularly since NY has the lowest crime rate of any US big city. But always keep your wits about you anyway!</p>

<p>Thanks Richard. I did some shooting there too. From late afternoon until closer to sunset, the Fulton Ferry Landing side of the bridge allows you to look back on the bridge sidelit with the lovely glow of the setting sun. The golden light is even better when viewed on the bridge itself, but closer to the Manhattan side so you're looking back toward Brooklyn.<br>

But my main goal was to catch the blue of twilight and the lights coming up in the buildings of lower Manhattan and on the bridge itself, and the best spot for that was Brooklyn Bridge park. As an out-of-towner (upstate) my concern was taking photos in that area after sunset. Of course you are right that it's best to maintain some situational awareness at all times and not to get so wrapped up in your viewfinder that you are unaware of what people are doing around you. And the fact that I wasn't mugged doesn't mean that someone else won't be unfortunate in that area. But it certainly didn't strike me as a danger zone. Your characterization of the neighborhood fits with my recent experience.<br>

Thanks for your input.<br>

mark</p>