Best way to market to coordinators and wedding venues in a saturated market?

bevw

<p>I am embarking on a big marketing push and have heard back from other photographers doing the same thing that trying to make contacts with wedding coordinators at the wedding venues is now a losing proposition. The feedback is that there are now so many new photographers entering the market that the coordinators are swamped with meeting requests/sample albums. They have their list of tried and true photographers that they feel comfortable referring and do not want to take chances on the zillion untried newcomers. clamoring at their doorstep.<br>

One photographer I talked to who had done a big marketing push and who had had a very successful studio on the East Coast before moving to San Diego told me it was a waste of her time to contact them; as an indication of the attitude, she had left her very expensive Leather Crafstman album at a popular venue for review and when she came back to pick it up a week or so later she found out it had been thrown away without even an email or phone call notification from the coordinator.</p>

<p>Does anyone have recommendations on creative ways to approach these people or is this an old school way to market? Perhaps that method has seen its day and instead I should be tapping wedding vendor contacts, doing internet stuff and staying away from the coordinator method.Other creative ideas for ways to market in this environment would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Fortunately, the wedding coordinator market is starting to get just as full as wedding photographers. We have a small handfull of those who have been doing this for years but a ton of upstarts from just this past year, I would try marketing to them, even partnering with them as they might need some photographs for their walls, etc.</p>

<p>The other thought is to market yourself to the brides who use coord's. As soon as we decided to go after the high end market in our area, the consultations of brides who are using coord's has gone up. So far we have one wedding booked that is being handled by a coord, and lucky for us she has one of the "doing this for years" businesses.</p>

<p>Plus what Steve said is a great idea too...I would add salons to that list as well. Shooting wall portraits for a salon is a great way to get your studio name out there.</p>

<p>I've had mixed resulta from contacting venues, the big ones don't want anything to do with me unless I sign up to do their bridal shows and shell out big $$(which I don't have). I'm had better luck with smaller, non-traditional venues. I also started contacting wedding/party planners, dj's, a florist, and have had good response from them. I really think the keys to being booked are: get your name in their hands early in the process, have a website with pricing and pictures for them to look at, and be willing to be flexible in your coverage. Since we're only in our 3rd season, we're not booking too far out, so our availability is very good for people looking at the "last minute".</p>

<p>This is one of the "people" aspects of our business. So much of being a wedding photographer has to do with people skills and establishing relationships and only a fraction has to do with actually shooting pictures.</p>

<p>There will always be a plethora of upstarts, but not to worry; how many of those upstarts actually have the marketing skills, people skills, staying power of an established and seasoned wedding photographer? Heck, I know many established shooters that suck at these things and lose bookings as a result.</p>

<p>The key is to stand above the crowd and do the things that others can't or don't do (I think Covey said that better than me). Seek out the venue coordinator, and approach him/her from a discussion standpoint. Find out all about THEM and what THEY are dealing with in their day-to-day job. As another wedding vendor, you'll get lots of info the general public would not get. You may find out that the venue isn't making enough money, the owner(s) are selling the property, they're flooded with photographers, they have a poor business model, they have too many cancellations, or any of a number of other issues. The key is to find a way you can help the coordinator do their job better. Offer to provide free photography to help promote the venue, ask for their biz cards to hand to YOUR brides, help them at upcoming bridal shows, find out how you can get on their preferred vendor list or website, and offer to put a link to their site on YOUR site. If you can catch the coordinator when they have a little time to talk, like in the middle of a weekday afternoon, you can use the time to find out all about the venue and how you can get bookings there.</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, I stopped in at a beautiful southern plantation venue, just on a whim. I pulled in and found the office, put on my professional name badge, armed myself with portfolio and biz cards, and sought out the office. I found three young ladies were handling most of the coordinator duties, so I gave them an impromptu dog and pony show. I made it a point to state the other nearby venues I regularly shoot at, and that I ALWAYS abide by the vendor's rules and timetables. They were so impressed that I took the time to show them what I do in person, I wound up on their preferred vendor list of the website. The venue was under new ownership, and they needed some good photographs of the property, so I went up there and shot the grounds, signage, gardens, guest areas, etc. for free, and gave the hi-res images on CD to their web developer, who used them all throughout the new site. They called me back and asked if I would shoot the guest room interiors, so I did for a small fee. I wound up being the only photographer on their preferred list. The venue has now gone private again, but I got about ten great bookings from them over a period of two years, and all because I stopped in on a whim and gave them some of my time. Some of the best marketing images I've ever shot were done there.</p>

<p>To stand above the crowd, you have to come out of your inner world and get into someone else's world. Drawing them into conversations and learning about THEM helps you to see the best ways to create win-win relationships that last for years. To make an impression on these folks, you have to show an interest in helping THEM, not just how you can help yourself.</p>

<p>As for marketing materials: first, I would not leave an expensive sample album in a coordinator's office; they get damaged, shelved, collect dust, get lost or even thrown away. And they're not going to remember to pull it out and show every bride they consult with anyway. I also would not spend hundreds or thousands on a fancy four-color folder brochure or info pack, and leaving them at the venue; sure, it makes you look "big time" but if they get handed out to every Joan-Jane-Judy, many will be wasted and wind up in the trash. Having great business cards and keeping them replenished regularly is the best/cheapest option.</p>

<p>Last, you have to remember that wedding venues can go through a lot of personnel changes or even owner/operator changes over the years. The phrase "it's hard to get good help" is always present and every business has turnover. The folks you've made friends with may not be there in six months, having been fired, let go, moved on, etc. It pays to keep the key people in your cellphone and call them regularly; ask them what's going on, what's new, what's a problem, how you can help, etc.</p>

<p>I hope these suggestions help!</p>

<p>i always wondered how some of those "pros" out there with substandard shots in their portfolio can charge so much and still get paid at their rate.<br>

maybe Steve was right, they have better people skills than shooting ability, and that is what matters more.</p>

<p>Thanks, Chris. You can send large bills or your credit card info...;-)</p>

<p>I'm just sharing what I've learned, and I guess that's what P-net is supposed to be about...helping others help themselves. Being proactive and self-empowering is way better than waiting for someone else to discover us (or waiting for government spending to fix things). In either case, you might be waiting a LONG time.</p>

<p>Wow, everyone, thank you! Steve, your answer is so powerful and true. No matter how many times I think I know the principle of "give first" as a marketing strategy (and a life strategy) it never fails to amaze me how many times I forget, too. Many, many thanks to all.</p>

<p>The market is brides and bride's mothers. Some good places to reach them is, hair and nail salons, simple back-of -ticket supermarket add space, place mat adds at local diners and bigger local church/synagogue bullitins. Of course don't forget getting out and doing some charity work and talking yourself up a bit and handing out some cards while you do it. Remember too, most wedding halls are established with big selling studios who are likely paying nice commissions for their work to be displayed. Am I suggesting to stay out of the big wedding cycle of bridal shows and the like, no, but there are other ways to effectively beat the path.</p>

<p>You have some points, Dave, but the OP was asking about dealing with venues, which is a prime area to hit with our marketing. I'll give you that nail/hair salons may be a good resource. I don't know about back of receipt ads or placemat ads (perhaps you can share your results with those?) but my guess would be that those media are not as targeted as we need, and there's a cash outlay involved.</p>

<p>As for those venues who demand commissions to be featured, I leave them alone. Those who have the bucks to throw around can go after them. And I don't know of any in my area.</p>

<p>Steve lets look at an example. Igor the Photographer works as the #1 clicker at Dracula's Castle. Every wedding gets referred to him first and he of course tips his wallet to Dracula and kisses his ring. Chances of getting in there are slim to none, or you go to the stretching room. However, when you reach the bride and/or mom first through an alternate source, and book their wedding before they settle on a venue there's not much Dracula can do except for asking for your insurance policy and sending you his guidelines that border on harassement. Now once you're actually IN Dracula's castle a few times you start to build a relationship with the owner or BqM and get a little shoe in. Then you go from there. That's my point.</p>

<p>Dave, your theory above (bloodsucking references aside) are valid. As I said, I don't know of vendors who "pay for play" around here, except for David's Bridal, which is a chain. You have to pay them $500 a month, contracted for a year, to be their "featured photographer". You get to be the ONLY one they recommend to their brides, and get to feature your work there (no matter how sucky it may be, as long as you come up with the $500 every month).</p>

<p>I still would leave those folks alone and let them play their payola games.</p>

<p>But, I'm not taking any issue with what you're saying, and only questioned how well that back of ticket and menu advertising was doing for you.</p>

<p>Steve I totally understand your point that those adds might not be good in every market. Around here, central NJ, there are lots of very busy supermarkets and diners, especially diners or eateries that hit the business lunch market. Basically lots of moms are hitting the "Shop Rite" and both moms and potential brides with their office friends are hitting the busier diners in the industrial/warehouse areas, so here there is a definite market. I have used placemat adds in the past for industrial and commercial photography specifically, and I got numerous calls for weddings, family and other portraits, legal shoots etc. They saw a locl phone number, felt comfortable and called. My friend uses the supermarket add for his guitar studio teaching business and he is very pleased with the results, he's running adds about two years now. OK enjoy! </p>