How much should I ask for studio shots of others art?

ray_pringle

<p>Hey all<br>

I'm a recent photo alum and it's been brought to my attention that there are only 2 people in the area that are available to take pictures of the students work at the college. I'm trying to find "ins" whereever I can to get my career going, I graduated last may with my BFA.<br>

I want to put an ad on the school message board that offers photographs of 1 group of there art work, professional studio shots and such. I have the lighting equipment and digital gear to do it. My thoughts were to drive to the customers location, set up the lights and camera, take an hour or 2 to shoot the work, and then give them a cd with tiffs and jpegs of the work for their portfolio. In return I'd get paid obviously but here is my problem, I'm not sure what to ask for. I know more established photographers doing this type of work go anywhere from $400 and beyond but I thought seeming I'm starting out I'd low ball it for awhile.<br>

I was thinking $100 a shoot and that would cover one group of work from the artist, such as their thesis space or a gallery show they were doing. One of my friends thinks that'll be to low considering time spent and gas to drive there (I live 45 minutes from the college campus now).<br>

I'd like some professional opinions as most of my work has been gallery oriented up till this point where I'm just showing not selling.<br>

I would also like any opinions on getting into doing freelance work for a newspaper or magazine, I've sent my portfolio to several in new england but I never get any call backs. I eventually want to do something good with my photography like relief or international work but I really have no idea how to get that going. I've also been woefully unsuccessful at this point seeming I got back from Ireland last august and the only jobs I've had so far have been sears portrait studio jobs. Which are not what I want to do for the rest of my life.<br>

All the best</p>

<p>-Ray</p>

I'm not sure what you should charge college students for that kind of work, but as a former photographer for an art gallery, small and large sculptures, jewelry, and small and large framed art, you better buy some insurance. Moving art, and dragging lights, cords, reflectors and stands around it in a timely manner means that there is a high probability for an accident.

<p> Since the drive and set-up are the main temporal investments on your part, and others are charging $400, perhaps $250 for one artist's works (within 1 hr), and a discount if 2 or more artists can get together to have their stuff done at the same time and location.</p>

At first I thought you meant straight-on copy work, like shooting for color seps to go to print from artwork. For paintings and

such, there's special considerations to eliminate reflections, flash may not do it. I had a whole special technique to deal with

it. Displayed as wall-hangings or in a gallery setting, it's probably more like conventional interior photography.

If you sent out portfolios, but did no call-backs, you've been too easy to ignore! ;-) Steady, quality mailouts get better

response over time than one-hit wonders.

Feel-good, save-the-planet photography probably pays feel-good wages. If you can take that home as compensation, you're

probably in!

-Ed