Tripod for canon 5D

peter_k6

<p>

<p>Hi<br>

I would like to know your opinion what would be the best suitable tripod for canon 5d. I am planning to do some hiking around, to do some landscape pictures. Please let me know the brands and price range.<br>

My wife was going to surprise me and both me OPTEX opt 155but it does not seems to me to be safe enough for 5D “ the head seems to be too loose”<br>

Thank you for your advices.</p>

</p>

<p>There are so many variables involved in choosing a tripod that it is almost impossible to answer your question without a lot more information.<br>

"hiking" sounds like you need light weight like carbon fiber, but these are very expensive so your budget will have to be taken into account.<br>

size is another variable - how tall are you and do you mind bending over to look through the camera to focus, etc.?<br>

The tripod itself has to be assessed in combination with a tripod head - ball or pan, for instance?<br>

The camera body is only part of the equation, what lenses will you be mounting?<br>

There are far more tripods out there than there are different kinds of cameras.<br>

You can get tripods from $30 to over a $1000, so go to Adorama or other big store and search for "tripod" and you will see what is available, costs, weight, etc.</p>

<p>I use a Bogen 3001N with a 410 mini gear head on it. Handles my 5D with the 100-400mm L lens just fine. Unfortunately Bogen changed all the model numbers a couple of years ago so I don't know what the current model number is for the tripod. They didn't change the head numbers though.</p>

<p>Head is a little heavy but in my opinion it is one of the best ever made. I also do landscapes and I personally don't find the weight an issue for 10 mile day hikes. However some people would disagree on the weight.</p>

<p>I'd go to the store site, choose "tripod", then sort by price and see what is available in your price range, then look for the other variables that interest you. Google™ the particular tripods for on-line reviews. Add a "+review" to narrow down the list somewhat.</p>

<p>Get a ball head and a solid tripod (Bogen, Gitzo, Giottos or Manfrotto). I don't mind the extra weight so I generally use the non-carbon Manfrotto 55 XPROB with a ball head. This works fine with 5DII and lenses up to 300 F2.8 - or a Mamiya 645 and can at a pinch be used with my Fuji GX680 but you must be careful as it can tip over. The Manfrotto 190 XPROB gets good reviews and is lighter than the 55 - in either case they make a carbon fiber version. I suggest you go for a medium size ball head with your tripod. Since I use the 55 with a 5DII and usually 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 F2.8 or 70-200 F2.8 you will be safe with this one it is also fine with a bigger body such as the 1NRS or 1VHS.</p>

<p>I feel like I went through the "school of hard knocks" with tripods. In my early photography days, I didn't need a tripod (or so I thought). Then I got one of the bargain barrel deals which included the camera, tripod, lenses, new car, etc. Tripod was the cheapest of cheap in the quality department. Bought a "quality" tripod at one of the big box stores...turned out it broke within days of its first use. Paid a lot for a "great quality" tripod at a chain camera store, but it never really worked well for me; was difficult to set up and I didn't like the quick release mechanism.</p>

<p>Finally!...Success!...I bought a Manfrotto 55XPROB with an 804RC pan/tilt head. I absolutely love this setup. It is a little on the heavy side for hiking, but it works so well I can't complain. I would highly recommend the brand/model to anyone.</p>