Cameras and Guns.

<p>I think there is a surprising amount of crossover between guns and cameras.<br>

You "shoot" both. Both require a squeeze for proper release rather than a jerky push or pull. Both guns and cameras benefit from stabilization, and even a strap is useful for this; though a wide range of accessories are also available. Oh yeah, shooting either can soon become expensively addictive! I've even reloaded expendable cartridges for both.<br>

Unfortunately, and more often recently, either of them sometimes "freak out" certain people. Pointing a camera around sometimes draws unwarranted attention from security types, and often even the completely legal possession and carrying of a firearm draws similar attention.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Then he taught me how to "breathe with it" as the trigger is pulled. I still use that technique today when taking photographs with telephoto lenses or slow shutter speeds.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have noticed that I hold my breath when pressing the shutter. This is a subconcious thing rather than something I planned to do.</p>

<p><strong>New bumper sticker</strong><br>

<strong>"When Cameras Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Cameras"</strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

<strong>When they get the guns, they will take your cameras, your mind, your rights, your freedom, your life. Once free from the bondage of their Masters in Egypt, it seems that mankind is not intelligent enough to retain it's freedom, going full circle and returning to it's captive state.</strong></p>

<p>I don't have a Nikon FE2 but I know that it was one of Nikon's most successful and durable models. It stayed in production for many years. I have two FE bodies now and I would eventually like to get an FE2 for the faster shutter speeds and flash synch speed. Someone might like the aesthetics of a Leica M3 better than those of an FE2 but the FE2 is still a capable and very well made camera.</p>

<p>Curtis,</p>

<p>I am nobody's hero, I just call em like I see em.<br>

Here is a picture of me and Jay R. taken nearly 30 years ago. This was my first encounter with the Elite crowd. I was a member of the National Gasohol Commission back then, and called for a meeting with him. I won't go into details about the meeting, but I will tell you that I have been studying these people ever since. So when I say I call em like I see em, I can tell you I really see em. I only wish others could see too. Oh by the way I like custom knives too.</p><div>00SRsO-109676184.jpg.5cedf9453fd1470bead08d7c15cda7f2.jpg</div>

<p>Well Al, a camera that should be valued at $3000 to $5000 in todays worthless dollars you are lucky to get 20 bucks for, so it wouldn't make much sense to do thousands of dollars worth of engraving on one. Maybe I'll pick out one of my old cameras and engrave it, just to have one.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the whole... "value" of used products thing. It's awful silly to me. While ebay appears to set the standard for prices, KEH typically has prices will under ebay prices for items that are actually inspected by knowledgeable staff and guaranteed. It's also funny how cameras go through waves of price popularity... or how one specific model will be insane expensive while a nearly identical model will be virtually given away. The day I start understanding that I suppose will be the day I stop shopping at thrift stores.</p>

<p>Here is a view of the bottom of the receiver. I think what we all appreciate, is not so much machinery, but the creation of machinery by HAND. The old cameras , the old guns, the engraving, they are all the same; an artistic expression of the person that created them. I'm not impressed at all by machines that are built by punch press, injection molding, and robots.</p><div>00SSvB-109953684.jpg.af2bb0b11a8944e9dead3b463392defc.jpg</div>

<p>I am a devotee of the late Jack O'Connor, the shooting and hunting editor of Outdoor Life for many years. I would happily trade about 75 of my better cameras for a Winchester model 21 side-by-side in reasonable condition. In the 1952 edition of Gun Digest, the first edition I owned, the shotgun went for $325 in field grade. When I was second john in the air force in 1958, that was about my monthly pay.</p>

<p>It's worth pointing out one minor difference between cameras and guns. Guns are used to kill people or other living beings. They serve no other purpose. Something to consider when you admire the workmanship.</p>

<p>This is the scariest thread I've ever seen.<br>

<br />Alan</p>

<p>Something else to note: They have defended your freedom to post your opinion. I have many that are completely worthless for doing anything but punching holes in international competition paper targets. It's not the gun, but the person that kills, and if they are intent they will use whatever they have to accomplish that. Aztec obsidian comes to mind..</p>