Has Lepage really turned a page in art history?

<p>Hmm, well I've learnt very little from this thread other than Arthur is a fan of this particular presentation by Robert Lepage (in association with various others...) of what are, according to Lepage's own web site, mostly other people's images...</p>

<p>I've also learnt that some people react very defensively to honest opinions that don't agree with their own, although this is not uncommon amongst people who like to think of themselves as "artists", of course.</p>

<p>As for my own photographs, all comments (particularly disparaging ones...) are welcome, as is good old-fashioned silent apathy and/or a refusal to even bother looking at the pictures at all, naturally... All responses - or the absence of them - tell me something about the individuals concerned.</p>

<p><a href="http://koti.welho.com/pwilkins/title.html">http://koti.welho.com/pwilkins/title.html</a></p>

<p>As for your (infamously tardy...) offerings John, with hand on heart I can honestly say that as a viewer I can very easily obtain a considerably <a href="http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=crap&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enFI211FI212&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi">more interesting</a> visual experience by typing words of my choice into Google Image Search.</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thinking about it, for me, search engines such as Google and Google Image Search have probably been the most significant development in the history of photography and art. (Lepage's projection show is a mere distraction by comparison...)</p>

<p>Why? Because such search engines not only allow many millions of us to dismiss the work of many photographers/artists in a matter of seconds from the comfort of our own mouse mats - which, given the vast amount of stuff out there, is a vital process, naturally - but they also allow us to find stuff that we actually appreciate...</p>

<p>Even better, the nature of the Google Image Search thumbnail results is such that the work of "big name" artists may often be given equal billing alongside some personal blog pic... I think this is very healthy.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

if I may ask you? Why on earth are you raging, diminishing the values? Are you diminishing the value of Lepage's art work?<br>

Looking at your portfolio, I find your concept a little bit bizzare, intriguing. Feeling like I'm entering a door in an old ruined house, and finding ...well, you know that feeling... a different things of someone who left.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

if I may ask you? Why on earth are you raging, diminishing the values? Are you diminishing the value of Lepage's art work?<br>

Looking at your portfolio, I find your concept a little bit bizzare, intriguing. Feeling like I'm entering a door in an old ruined house, and finding ...well, you know that feeling... a different things of someone who left.<br>

<br></p>