Strange CS3 Behavior with Large TIFF Files

<p>I'm hoping some of you computer/PS folks can help me with an intermittent problem with CS3. I shoot 6x7 film and work with the scan in CS3. The files are quite large (500MB) and I'm accustomed to a slow workflow. I tried to print a file I had been working on and PS informed me that I need to install a printer (I've seen this message before, but it hasn't appeared for awhile; usually rebooting solves the issue). So I tried to save the file and PS replied that I didn't have enough memory. I resized the file from 500 to 70 MB and PS would then print and save. I use an Intel Duo Proc E6550 (2.33GHz), 4 GB RAM (3GB switch on) with XP pro (sp 3). CS3 is on C drive, scratch is E ( different physical drive) and D drives. Any suggestions ?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>This may be related to memory issues. Try purging your cache (inside PS).<br>

I can't tackle a solution directly for you because I have CS2 and CS4, but not CS3. But I know that when a file starts approaching a GB in size, my system gets pretty cranky with me. Like you, I have the software installed/running on a drive different than the scratch disc... but (call it superstition) I have Windows on C, PS on E and 1st Scratch on F. I have read that Windows and PS can interfere with each other if they share a drive for temp space.<br>

I have never "lost" my printer though. So what you're experiencing is outside my norm.</p>

<p>Try checking the size of your Windows page file. This is the system file that the Windows o/s uses to cache idle data blocks that it moves out of RAM. My personal rule of thumb is to set the Windows Page File to be 2.5X the amount of RAM. So try setting your Windows Page File to be 2.5X (4*1024MB). That would be 10,240 Megabytes. If your memory problems are related to a "too small"page file, this change will fix the problem.<br>

Also,make sure you have plenty of "free space" on your C-drive. Typically, if the C-drive gets more than 90% filled up with files, it can cause the computer to act up in unpredictable ways. Check the freespace on the C-drive, divide the amt of space "used" by the total amount of space on the C-drive, and multiply by 100 to get the % of diskspace used. If that % is 90% or higher, then spend a couple hours and clean off the C-drive, You may need to uninstall old programs that are no longer used, and archive and delete old data sets (ie, user files) that you no longer need.<br>

'</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I came across a similar problem on CS3 when working with a 200MB scan tiff file. When openning a Black & White Conversion adjustment layer, I get a not enough memory message. Other adjustment layers have no such problem. Only by down sizing the file significantly will the B&W adjustment layer work.<br>

I only have 2GB of ram but plenty of swap disk space. Things I have tried without success include changing % of ram allocation to PS, page file size, flushing cache, etc. I don't do b/w conversion too often, and will get more ram just for it. But this is very annoying.</p>