Macro for photografing insects - VR required?

dave_gold

<p>Hello,<br /> I am looking for a good lens for My Nikon D40 for taking photos of insects...<br /> 1) I thought about Sigma 50mm F/2.8D EX DG. What do you think? Which lens do you suggest to buy?<br /> 2) Concerning VR option, I saw that lens with VR are very expensive, if I am going for macro without VR, does it mean I could photo insects only with tripod?</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies,<br /> David</p>

<p>I've been shooting macros for years without VR, Although I've used VR lenses, I never found their utility in macro work. Sometimes I use a tripod, often not, although I am certain my ratio of keepers would be higher if I almost always used one. You're probably better off getting a focusing rail at some point along with a tripod....it sounds like a PITA, but it certainly eliminates one of the major sources of user error. <br>

On my Nikon DSLR I use either my 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor, or fully manual Leica lenses in a Visoflex mount. I've used a Tamron 90/2.5, which is primarily a macro lens as well. On my film cameras, I prefer the Tamron 90/2.5 or a recently acquired Kiron 105/2.8 (same as the Lester A Dine mentioned above), and for a shorter focal length I use a Canon 50/3.5 macro. I've never tried the Sigma, as IMHO I already have the best lenses (for a reasonable price) going.<br>

I think I or somebody else mentioned on one of your earlier posts on this topic, that in camera metering isn't as critical a requirement on a DSLR like yours as it is on a film camera, because you can take a test shot and check the histogram (or chimp the picture).<br>

Go to your local dealer, if you have one, and try the various lenses...see which are easiest for you to use. If you don't have a local dealer, do a lot of reading up on the various lenses so you don't pick a loser.</p>

<p>VR is not required. It's not that effective at really close distances anyway. It can be useful if you use the lens for other purposes, however.</p>

<p>The 50mm will be good for large insects like bees, dragonflies, etc. If you're going for aphids, thrips, and really small things, you will need extension tubes (or maybe a reversing ring) to get close enough. A longer focal length lens might be able to focus closer and give you more magnification for the small stuff, but when you do that you lose DOF.</p>

<p>I have played with the Nikkor 200mm Micro lens, which is an incredible piece of hardware, and it seems to be dedicated to bug photographers. I have a chance to buy one in near perfect condition for $900 U.S. and I am seriously considering it. It also makes for a superb telephoto lens as it's optical qualities are unmatched. If you can afford one, I think it might be about the best bug macro lens you can buy.</p>

<p>Without a tripod, it is hard to hold anything small in precise focus. Flash freezes motion very well if there is not too much ambient light intruding on your exposure. A high shutter speed stops both the motion of the camera and the subject. VR only stops camera motion. My advise for this is to find a lens that is longer than 50mm. </p>

<p>Precise focus is a matter of exercise and reflexes. I do 'a lot' of small-insects photography using reversed short lenses, stopped down, with an almost black viewfinder. With flash, obviously. And handheld. And my rate of succes is definately not disappointing. See for some examples <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/albinonflickr">www.flickr.com/photos/albinonflickr</a> </p>

<p>I could see the use of a 105/2.8 VR for larger insects and amphibians. For smaller work, flash seems the only answer.</p>

<p>The 50mm will put you very close to the insect and probably scare it away. The 90 - 105mm lenses work better and a lot of people use 150 - 200 mm macro lenses. It gives you some distance from the subject so you don't scare it off. I have a Nikon 28-105 zoom with macao 1:2 that works ok but my goal is to get a 150 or 180 mm macro lens.</p>