Another CS3 Question

louisa_edwards

<p>The original picture was .RW2, after going through Lightroom 2.2 I was able to get it into PS CS3 to edit. Now that I have finished editing I would like to save it as a JPEG, however I am not able to.<br>

Why can't I save it as a JPEG and what else should I save it as (currently it is a .psd I need to print it out offsite)?</p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

L.</p>

<p>Louisa, the jpeg format simply does not support 16-bit. The main thing you want 16-bit for is to have more lattitude when you're making drastic tonal adustments (<strong>BIG</strong> light-to-dark shifts, <strong>BIG</strong> color shifts, etc). Once you have your image adjusted to the tonality you want, there is really no reason to leave it as 16-bit.</p>

<p>Also, you should know that jpeg is a "lossy" format, meaning that some image data is lost when you save a file as jpeg. This can show up as "artifacts" in parts of your image. In the "real-world" scenario, however, these are rarely a problem unless you repeatedly edit and re-save a jpeg. My rule of thumb is to never re-edit a jpeg. If you need to save your "work-in-progress" files in a lossless format, you might consider PSD, Photoshop's native format.</p>