Cross processing Provia 400x?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I've recently been toying with print film for the first time ever. Not really sure what's what, I took it to the lab where I live (Taipei, Taiwan). There, they asked if I wanted to process it as negative film. After a little research, I discovered this is called 'cross processing.' It's cheaper and faster, they say: one hour as C-41 as opposed to four days for E-6. My question is, why would anyone shoot slide film just to have it developed as negative? At the shop they assure me that it's essentially equivalent, but the whole idea seems like blasphemy to me. Most of my film experience is with B&W, so I'm looking for some one else's opinion on this one. I'm not trying to be cute or creative with my film processing. I just want an accurate reflection of what I saw color-wise. Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts? Thanks.</p>

<p>Cross processing is for effect mostly. Optimal quality will be achieved using the correct development technique. If you want the fast turnaround, you should shoot Negative film and process it accordingly.</p>

<p>You should use negative film if you print in a darkroom, but for almost everything else slide film is easier to work with (despite longer turnaround these days.)</p>

<p>Because it gives you funky colours and, if you're lucky, a very different feel. However, I've found Provia to be the worst to Xpro because it gives a greenish hue that doesn't suit too many subjects. The best, IMHO, is Velvia, which comes out super-purple. Search on Flickr. There are loads of Xpro-dedicated forums.</p>

<p>In other words, if I'm not specifically looking for psychedelic results, I shouldn't take the shop's advice and have it cross processed. I still think it's strange that they would suggest it. This stuff better be good when I finally do get it back from the E-6 lab. If the slide vs. negative difference doesn't leap off the light box at me, I may find it difficult to justify the expense and inconvenience of shooting it. </p>