and a Calumet for $150 that looks amazingly like the Rodenstock (even

made in Germany)

Anybody actually used one of these? I was leaning to the Schneider

on brandname but some posts here like the Rodenstock. If the Calumet

is really a Rodenstock the $10 price diff is nothing so which would

be the better one?

By the way, I know you can use an old lens, but I would rather have a

loupe. Unfortunatly stores near me only stock the $12 variety of

loupe so nothing to actually look through.

thanks for any help!!!

-AJ

I have used Schneider loupes for year and can certainly vouche for their quality and performance. Of course for many years, Schneider made the only quality loupe. Now there are many choices. I've tried the Rodenstock loupes, as well as Cabin (Mamiya), Canon, Zeiss and a few others of that ilk. Honestly, they are all pretty good. Incidentally, Calumet's loupe probably is a Rodenstock since Rodenstock makes their LF lenses. Whichever one you get, make sure it has a barrel which will convert from slide viewing to contact viewing. Most of them have a sliding sleeve that slips up to reveal a translucent barrel for viewing contacts and an opaque barrel that slides down for viewing negatives and slides. Most of them may be adjusted for individual eyesight, and that is certainly an important consideration. Outside of that, field of view is the only other criteria I can think of. The 4x and 5x loupes will view a full 35mm slide, but will not cover a 6x4.5 neg. Cabin makes models that will view larger formats--even up to 4x5. I'm not sure if any other manufacturer offers that capability.

I have a Schneider 6x6 loupe, and it is of excellent quality. However, while it does cover the full frame of a 6x6 neg, it exhibits some slight pincushion distortion. It also requires you to switch bottoms to clear or opaque for viewing slides or prints. I also have a SINAR 4x loupe (which is made by Rodenstock) for MF. This loupe does not show any distortion, but the version I have does not even cover a full 645 frame. It does have a sliding skirt that allows for quickly changing between print view and slide view modes though. My other viewing loupe is an old chimney finder for an RB67 -- I pulled the metal mount off the bottom. This makes an outstanding 7x7 loupe, and is of very high optical quality, but has opaque sides so it is not good for viewing prints. All three of these loupes are of similar excellent optical quality.

Cheers,

i have a the rodenstock 6x6 3x aspheric got for a little over 100bucks to veiw he film comeing out of my pentax645. pretty soon, the novelty was over and i realised that all it was good for was checking coposition and a 645 frame is big enough to do without a loupe.

so then came the schnieder 10x for checking the minute details. this one came very recently for a little under 130 USD. it is much more useful sinceit allows me to see what to expect in the enlargement. do note that it is no mirical either and you will need so look through it very straight or else you will get messed up optics. don't expect to start seeing film grain either.

had i known better, the 6x6 would still be sitting in the shop

I too am looking to buy a 645 loupe. Most I find are listed as 6x6 loupes and have a stated magnification of 3x. There is one from Mamiya, however, that is marketed specifically as a 645 loupe and is 3.5x. This is sold by B&H for $200. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether a loupe made specifically for 645 is worth a little extra money over one made for 6x6? Unfortunately I find that I need a loupe to see my slides as the "over 40 syndrome" has set in and the eyes don't focus close-up as they did.

The loupes that cover MF are usually too low in magnification to be of much use. I use a Rodenstock 4x Aspheric. It is coated which I feel is necessary in any loupe. It is made for 35mm so it is necessary to move it across the slide. There is slight distortion(pin cushion)but not objectionable. It has a sweet spot that is slightly off the optical axis. Four X magnification is really not enough so I recommend the 6X Edmund Scientific coated double achromat.