Buying a K20D in The USA. Advice

personalphotos

<p>I'm looking for some advice for a friend to get a good deal on the K20D. Any suggestions? <br>

The reason I ask is, at B&H, Adorama and Amazon, I see nothing about the rebates and being in Canada I haven't a clue how the rebates function. Do you buy it anywhere that is an authorized dealer and automatically get a rebate form or do you have to buy from a dealer that shows they support the rebate program?</p>

<p>Any links to some good deals with 18-55mm vII?</p>

<p>We have a lot of stuff shipped up from the US where I work, so I can speak to shipping methods, but I don't know about the rebates.</p>

<p>If you have it sent from the US, use UPS "International Saver" or "Worldwide Saver". Ground looks cheaper, but they severely gouge on brokerage fees, which are non-negotiable and due on delivery. The brokerage is included in all the UPS air shipment methods, and air "saver" shipments go on the next flight that has room, so it might take a day longer than air next day, but is substantially cheaper. </p>

<p>Registered mail is also a good option if you have the time to wait (I would not ship a camera this way, but it's great for boxes of paper). Canada Post does not charge any brokerage fees so all you pay on delivery is any GST/HST/PSTor duty that is due. There may occasionally be duty due if the product was originally manufactured in a country that does not have MFN status, but there are so many "most favoured nations" that it's not likely (Japan is MFN, not sure about Phillipines).</p>

<p>Looking through the customs tariff, I'm not sure where it's classified (there don't seem to be digital cameras in here), I think it might be:</p>

<p >9006.51.0000- -With a through-the-lens viewfinder (single lens reflex (SLR)), for roll film of a width not exceeding 35 mm </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Which has no duty from MFN countries.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If you order several things from the same place, make sure you know for sure what their backorder shipment policy is. Last fall I ordered a big batch (for myself, not for work) of specialty papers from one of the retailers you've mentioned. I needed the paper fast to hit a deadline, but the website said the lead time was a week. I had ordered a bunch of other stuff for local photo club members so we could consolidate the freight. They sent the tripods & reflectors etc. UPS air right away, but sent the paper USPS ground when it came in and it took 3 weeks to get to me, so I missed the deadline. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>If you're not sure about any particular web retailer, the first place to look is resellerratings.com . There are a lot of scams out there that offer too-goo-to-be-true prices... that don't include things that are included at the factory. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Yes, for God's sake, stay away from PhotoDynasty! Their too-good-to-be-true prices are simply that:<br>

$598 for a new K20D, for example. Google PhotoDynasty, then look below for the website listing their rip-offs.<br>

I got a LNIB K20D from K.E.H. for about $650, and they have several more. Also, K.E.H. has a superb reputation.</p>