50mm 1.4g or 85mm 1.8 lens

peter_howard2

<p>I am a newbie so please be gentle with me folks - you know not too techie! I have a D60 and want to do indoor portraits. I have been saving (now just have enough) for the new 1.4g but have been reading varying reports on what is best for indoor portraits with digital cameras. Any useful opinions on which would be best for my needs? Incidently I also have 18-200 VR, 70-300mm VR and 10-20mm lens but want a prime with good bokeh and quality detail for this area of photography. My thanks in anticipation. Pete</p>

<p>depends...how large is your studio? the 85/1.8 is great for more flattering headshots. the 85mm/1.4 is nicer but the 1.8 is great for the price... the 50 is good for shooting 3/4 and full body shots. you can shoot headshots with it as well but you will have to stand closer.</p>

<p>The 85mm f/1.8 is a superb lens, Peter. I can't speak for the f/1.4 G, but from what I've seen it looks very nice. I have used both the 85mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 and I think (IF) there is any significant difference, it might be build quality. The 85mm f/1.4 is drenched in its own legendary performance, but my experience is that the f/1.8 version is just as good.</p>

<p>Allow me to throw another monkey wrench into the equation. The new 60mm G is absolutely wonderful and is a great length for portraits.</p>

<p>Joseph: Thank you - my "studio" is my converted bedroom-cum-study and I imagine most of my portraiture work will be on a very informal basis with family and friends, so your comment on headshots versus bodyshots is valid and food for thought.<br>

Michael: Thanks for clarifying my unspoken query re: is the 85mm f1/4 worth considering as well. I guess I'll not go there . . . . but I've not heard anything about 60mm G - presumably this would have full functional use with the D60. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll go and look further - having said that, I've only just scraped together enough for the 50mm 1.4G and am awaiting it's arrival here in England (at a place where the price is right!) Perhaps I need keep enquiring and saving! My thanks to you both. Pete.</p>

<p>On a 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor, I find 50mm to not be a focal length I use often. I have a friend that used it all the time to shoot his toddler, but outside of that it's just not that useful to me. The 80mm is a better head shot length, and a 35mm or 41mm is a better (IMO) 3/4 length lens.</p>

<p>There's no "rule" here. I'm positive you'll find someone out there that has both lenses and perfers the 50mm for head shots. </p>

<p>Nathan & Darrel, Have just checked back on the thread and found your comments. Thanks - I have noted others say that the 85mm is better for head / shoulder work. I now think that as you state Darrel, an evaluation of my work together with "patience" , i,e wait until I can try the 50mm 1.4G then see whether the extra 85mm would be of significant benefit to justify the extra expense. Thanks guys. Peter</p>

<p>I have a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 and love it for headshots. It's SO MUCH easier for my 63 year old eyes to focus in the studio than any of my zoom lenses.<br /><br />Here is a suggestion: get an 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f2 instead of the 50mm f1.4 lens. You will save some money. Then in the future when you can afford a 50mm f1.4 sell the f2 lens.<br /><br />I also shoot a lot of portraits with a 55mm Micro Nikkor. With my D70 crop factor it's quite nice and when needed I can get very close. Parents love it when I do that with their baby's eyes.<br /><b>Signature URL deleted, not allowed on photo.net per the Terms of Use.</b>