Favourite street lens?

shawn_mcfarlane

<p>Hi,<br>

I am keen to try a bit of street shooting but at the moment the only lenses I have are the 17-55mm or a manual focus 55mm micro (which won't meter on my d80).<br>

The 17-55 is a bit of a monster so have been thinking of either the Sigma 30mm f1.4 (though reviews seem a bit mixed) or the 35mm f2 (though I keep hoping Nikon will update it like they have done the 50mm).<br>

I had a 50mm f1.4 before but I got rid of it, it's not a focal length that suited me, I think I used it once (no interest in portraits)<br>

Just wondered what others are using, or any suggestions?<br>

cheers</p>

<p>I've never had a favorite, but feel comfortable with the "normal" focal length for any format since that's what I started with as a kid in the 1960s-'70s taking street photos around NYC (I didn't know at the time there was a genre called street photography, I was just a kid having fun). The 80mm on the Yashica TLR, the 50mm on my Miranda Sensorex.</p>

<p>I tend to prowl with just one lens at a time to force myself into a certain groove. A few years ago I stuck with a 17mm on my film Nikons for a few weeks and got some great stuff around Austin and Fort Worth. With that kind of focal length (closer to an 11mm on a DX sensor dSLR), you have to be comfortable working close around strangers. It's seldom a problem at public events, festivals, that sort of thing since folks are loose and having fun.</p>

<p>On another occasion I used only the 85/2 AI Nikkor for a couple of weeks on my FM2N and F3HP. Worked great, just had to challenge myself to rethink my approach to street and candid photography. Got some very intimate candid portraits because the lens is very compact, no larger than a normal lens, so it's not intimidating to subjects.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, faster is better, f/2.8 or faster. But even that rule is made to be broken. I've gotten some fun street shots at night with the f/4.5 lens on my Agfa Isolette folder, using Tri-X or TMY pushed to 1600 or more.</p>

<p>If you want to travel light and keep things compact, the Sigma 30/1.4 or 35/2 Nikkor would be good choices. The 17-55/2.8 Nikkor would be more versatile but bulkier.</p>

<p>When in doubt, check your EXIF data. If you use a zoom a lot you'll see patterns in how you use 'em. The focal length you use the most will be a good indicator of which prime to get.</p>

<p>The 17-55 is the one I would take! Yeah! It is big and hard to hide but I think is the best. It is wide enough when the opportunity is present and it is also a nice tele on DX cameras. The next favorite would be the 35 f/2 which is a very nice,light and compact set up. I have them both and they are great. <br /> It seems that some people are really happy with the Sigma but I prefer to stick to Nikon made glass. The Sigma is faster but on primes like the 35 it doesn't make difference coz it is fast so it doesn't hunt like other lenses would.</p>

<p>Jens... In that shot, which I like a lot, is there a special reason why you stopped down to f/11? </p>

<p>To me the most important issue could be the overall size of the camera and DoF... I bought time ago and used to use a 24/2.8Ai, I liked to preset focus for that fast candid shots. The wider coloured DoF scale and focal lenght seems perfect to me for that task. Most AF lenses have a much shorter scales and focus movement, and worst of it, focus barrels are a bit loose for manual focus presetting technique.</p>

<p>I`m not a street shooter, sometimes I have used 3D-51 point AF system, perhaps it could be fast enough and good for you. Digitals are too big to my liking.</p>

<p>Although I currently do almost nothing of street photography, when I want it my perfect setup is a Leica M6 with a 35/2 lens (not for prefocused shots); almost everytime I used it I missed a 24mm (or even a 21mm) lens on it for indoor bar/pub shooting and DoF. I also like to use a 28Ti P&S.</p>

<p>"The 17-55 is a bit of a monster"</p>

<p>This following not a popular choice by many here at Photo.net but it is inexpensive and delivers basically the same IQ as the 'monster' lens - Nikon's 18-55mm (available with or without VR). <em>Don't knock it until you try it! </em></p>

<p>If you are looking for a prime, a good idea might be to check the focal length of the pictures you take to see what focal length you shoot at most often.</p>

<p>i have used a 28mm and a tamron 17-50mm on a d70s and always the 50mm f/1.8 in my pocket for street fun and adventure. just like in any other aspects of photography, each one has his own preference. but i must agree, the faster, the better.<br />eyebrows might be raised here but i'm trying the d40 with the 18-70mm kit lens for street (the 50mm still in my pocket). kind to my shoulder or neck and balances well in my hand. i'm saving for/thinking of the motorized 17-50mm and see if the sigma 30mm will still be small enough in my pocket.<br />have fun in your walks.</p>

<p>I use three different lenses for my street work: the 24-70 f/2.8, the 50 f/1.8, and the 105 micro VR. The 50 offers ok optical quality around f/2.8, and it's very deminiuative, which's nice for street work; and the slight "reach" it has on DX is nice to have too. The 24-70 is fast and very flexible: allows me a range of FLs to choose from. I've rarely needed go wider than 36 mm equivalent... The 105 would be the best of the three. The VR works very well for the "grab-and-go" type of shooting. It's sharp, even at f/2.8; its macro capability is a bonus on the side; and its reach is very nice for capturing "natural" scenes, as subjects tend to reach if you had gotten closer.</p>

<p>i'm really starting to like the sigma 30 for 'street' shooting. there's something about having a lens which allows such wide latitude in DoF, and using a prime over a zoom forces you into putting more thought into composition. i also have the tamron 17-50, which is my go-to walkaround lens, the nikon 50/1.8, the nikon 18-70, a bunch of other fast zooms, and a tokina 24-200 and 12-24. for daylight shooting, the zooms are ok, and i use the 17-50 for events a lot. but for available-light shots at night, nothing beats a 1.4. the 50 is just too long for street stuff, though it's light and small, whereas the 30's FoV allows for nice portraits with background details. also its bokeh is far superior to the 50. i wouldnt really consider the 17-55 a street lens as it's just too bulky; the 30 is fatter and heavier than a lot of primes but it balances well on a d300. it takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're shooting at 1.4, and has a different color cast/tonal signature than the nikkors and tammys, but if i could only have one lens for street shooting, that would be it.</p>

<p>Normally I leave the D300 at home when I'm just out walking the dog or trekking about the nearby desert. <br>

Instead I bring along the much lighter D40X. My latest favorite walkabout lens is a Tamron 18-250 zoom. It doesn't have VR but by using shutter priority and shooting at 1/500 sec it usually does just fine.</p>

<p>My favorites for street photography are the 20mm f/2.8D and the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. Both lenses are small and unobtrusive and produce excellent, contrasty results. I find their FOVs to be very useful, both on DX as well as on FX and film. Some might argue the 20mm is a bit soft in the corners on digital, but in low light this is generally hardly noticeable.</p>

<p>I picked up a Nikon manual 28-50 mm 3.5 for my black FE . Or I hop on the train for the city with my Canon Canonet G III with it's 40 mm 1.7 and B+W film . But my fav photo is a shot from afar with my 18 - 200 mm VR and the Nikon D 300 in Charleston SC , of a wedding party of charming Southern girls and one of them notices me and gave me a Mona Lisa smile . A photo can just reach in and touch your heart . Good luck !<br>

</p>

<p>Hi Shawn.I would recommend you to repost this in the Street Photography section. This is where the hardcore SP shooters hangout.Check out the individual portfolios and find the ones that suit your style and contact the shooters directly.They are a very helpfull bunch.A lot of the previous postings are well intentioned but are from shooters that only dabble in it occassionally.Ton Maestrom is this monthes PN featured member this would be a good place to start.</p>