NX1.3 to NX2 Batch differences?

greg_lisi

<p>Thanks to you people here in this forum I've been able to actually enjoy PP. Your various workflow inputs I've experimented on led to batch NX(1.3)--->TIFF--->LR2--->JPEG as the winner. Now, since I hardly do any editing in 1.3 (very minor at best), does anyone find that the upgrade to NX2, for batch primarily, give better outputs (in-camera settings)? I have 4gb RAM running on a dual core so speed is not an issue if upgrade is recommended.<br />P.S. I think this forum is money!!<br />Greg</p>

<p>For batch? Okay, here is how I use Lightroom 2 for batch (let's say 15 files): I pick one, make all the the necessary adjustments (mostly profile, WB, exposure and color, never sharpness or NR), then I select the 14 others and I «Sync» the adjustments. THEN - and this is where I find Capture NX totally worthless - I finalize the adjutmentst in each individual file if need be. Most of the time, the exposure will be slightly different, like in studio shots where the model may have moved a bit towards an already close strobe light and the exposure is on the verge of clipping. And only then, do I launch the batch («Export» to Tif before CS3.)</p>

<p>The problem with NX (and I think NX2, unless I'm told the contrary) is that you cannot do that. As soon as you apply adjustments to a batch, the process starts, leaving you no chance to make last minute individual adjustments. I've said it numerous times, in my opinion, this is the ultimate no-no from Nik software.</p>

<p>My pleasure, Greg. Now, of course, as they say, YMMV. Some people will tell you they swear by NX2 because it gives you all the original settings of the Nef file. But a Raw file is supposed to be just this, a... Raw file, ie an image exactly as captured by the sensor, with no in-camera adjustments. So, what do you get with NX that other converters can't give you? Some will say Active D-lighting. Big deal. One of the advantages of shooting Raw is precisely that it lets you add all these special effect yourself, in post processing, not let the camera do it, like shooting jpeg. And if the Nef file looks a bit «off» to start with, this is exactly why you shoot Raw in the first place.</p>

<p>Personally, I feel the invisible benefits (to my eyes, at least) don't make up for the sluggishness of NX and its useless batch function. Again, NX2 may be different, but I doubt it.</p>

<p>Greg, if you hardly use Capture, why bother with it at all? Skip converting to TIFF then importing to Lightroom. Why not just start with Lightroom? It will read the NEFs, allow you to adjust them, then export to JPEGs easily.</p>

<p>Lightroom/ACR has caught up with, or surpassed Capture in the rendering of NEFs for most uses (just my opinion). Lightroom/ACR will not respect all of Nikon's image settings. I don't find these ignored settings compelling (other than to affect the in-camera previews in a desired way, such as adding sharpening or seeing how an image might look in B&W). If one shoots only JPEGs, the in-camera settings become much more important. In that case, one doesn't need Capture anyhow.</p>

<p>The Capture batch function is convoluted and torturous. The Lightroom export is simple and easy.</p>

<p>Michael, the abysmal Capture batch function pre-dates Nikon's partnership with Nik by a long way. Nik has contributed U Point to Capture. It might be worthwhile for Nikon to turn the whole Capture project over to Nik. Nik makes great products, such as Dfine (a de-noiser) and Sharpener Pro, both excellent products.</p>

<p>To make sure, here is my workflow (works for me): download files with a card reader - «Import» the folder in LR2 - Adjusts the Nef files to taste - (Prepare a batch by selecting several files and «Sync» with the first adjustments + last minute adjustments to individual files in the batch if need be) - «Export» to Tif in another folder - Last retouching in PS3 (this where I will apply USM, if need be, plus different parameters) - (Resize to 8x12) - Convert to 8 bits - Save as jpeg, or Tif.</p>

<p>Chris, it's funny because one day I made this same comment regarding the inability of NX to do decent batch jobs, and I said it was a real blunder by Nikon. Then somebody said Nik was the culprit, not Nikon. From then on I stopped criticizing Nikon for their bad programs. Now, you tell me they are still at it? Have you ever seen a good Nikon program? Nikon View was a joke. View NX is the same joke, only worse, Capture NX... So, I'll say it again, Nikon should leave software programming to competent people and stick with what they do so well: camera and lenses.</p>

<p>Michel, I started using Capture in 2002, perhaps version 3. The batch processing was there. NX and U Point came much later. I don't know what Nik's involvement was prior to Capture NX, but I seem to recall that this was announced as a new partnership.</p>

<p>I like Nikon Transfer. It's free and does things I need. I use View NX to check the results of Transfer uploads -- it pops up automatically when Transfer is done. It's also free. So, for what I use these two programs for, they're pretty good for the price.</p>