WedNEsDAy PiC #6

jose_angel

<p>Guys - fantastic shots, I love the beauty and diversity in this thread each week. Hamish, Gary, Ed, Gabe, Kent, Richard, Shuo - wow! - your conveyance of beautiful light in your shots really strike me this week.</p>

<p>Hamish - goddamn right you should explore Thailand outside of Bangkok - its is awesome! (Bangkok is too, in its own crazy way, but the countryside is amazing). One day when I get to the folder of NEFs that I took there my gallery will be swamped with Thailand pictures, such were the colours, the landscapes, the animals (monkeys, elephants, etc) and the people there.<br>

The island in my shot is in Phang Na Bay in the south - kinda between Phuket and Krabi - and is the one they used for scenes in a James Bond film, I think 'the man with the golden gun'. This means that one part of the island is a tacky touristy place, but the arrival in a long-boat gave this different view which did not have all the cheezy stuff. The bay is stunning with rock caves, a couple of amazing floating muslim villages, areas of dense mangroves full of all sorts of wildlife etc. The other place we spent time was in the far north right on the Burmese border in an elephant conservation camp; totally different landscape made up of villages, rice-fields, river scenes etc. Anyway I could go on forever but it is a total mecca of a country in terms of delivering a gritty, interesting beauty.</p>

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Richard`s portrait... is like his landscapes... what could I say. I`ve opened it a dozen times, on my new good screen looks near perfect. I wonder if it`s an "available light" shoot, looks like there is just a window at the photographer`s back. Very inspiring. (Actually, while writing this lines I have checked it another dozen times, too).<br /> I also like Dan`s presentation, his border really makes the pic to "pop".<br /> Do I`m seeing a portraiture tendency?<br /> Rodeo, my pic was deliberately overexposed. It makes the background white fabric to be mostly blown highlight, that is white without texture. I washed all the remaining dark areas with selective points in NX2. Then,"levels" were applied to darken the plant and scissors. Surely a clumsy way of working for regular photoshoppers, I think.</p>

<p>Thank you very much Richard! I saw that morning light and knew I wouldn't get it again in awhile.</p>

<p>I must say your shot of the beautiful land of Thailand simply makes one lust for such a climate! Especially after being up here in the freezing cold...your colors, especially the shades of green, as well as the composition, are truly srtriking...well done!</p>

<p>Hamish -great colors and light as Bernard mentioned<br>

Shuo - continued nice street photography work<br>

Jose - I find it fun experimenting also and you certainly garnered some success here with your experimentations. Good job!<br>

Everyone - amazing shots this week...If I had time to compliment all I could easily do so, but let me just say this keeps getting better each week after each week and I always feel humbled after seeing the wonderful shots here.</p>

<p>Gabe.</p>

<p>Jose, thank you! My subject is my wife's grand nephew. He was playing on the floor and looked at me. My back was facing a large set of north facing windows on an overcast day. The light is all natural. I haven't been able to use my Sigma 30 mm f1.4 lens very much. I was really pleased with it for this shot.<br>

Regards,<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Lil, thats a wonderful shot!<br /><br />Gabe, I thought it was cold here, but -22F wow! Don't you just love the wonderful light winter provides though? Thank you for your comment btw. I like your cold trees!<br /><br />Jose, I think experimenting like that is great fun. Actually the very first time I contributed to WedNEsDAy PiC (in the thread Lex closed ;-) <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00RJoA">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RJoA</a> ) I posted a picture based on the same concept. I used a desk lamp and a wall lamp, both positioned so that the front of the motive (a D80) was in shadow. The D80 was placed on a polished wooden table in front of a white wall. I blew the highlights with a long exposure and then converted it to black and white in Picasa, which I believe was the only pp I did on it. However I see that you have done a much better job than me as you have managed to preserve all the natural colors. <br /><br />By the way, it's great looking back at earlier threads to see what we were posting then. :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you, Hamish! Yes, the light in the winter is amazing. The morning, and even the evening colors that are cast can be just gorgeous. Now if they can just flip seasons and make all the beautiful weather in the summer....hey, at least it's up to -7F this morning!</p>

<p>Beautiful love birds, Richard.</p>

<p>Great week for photos everyone! as usual</p>