Half aperture readout on AE-1 Program

joachim

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>The readout of the aperture suggested by the exposure system on the AE-1 Program is in full stops only. However the lense is in 1/2 stops over most of its range. The best way I could come up with for a finer readout is to change the ISO and see when the finder indication changes. This way you get effectively a read out in 1/3 stops but it is not very convenient.<br /> Did anyone every come up with a better trick to estimate the exposure more precisely than full stop? I am a slide shooter and getting the exposure right to at least 1/2 stop typically matters.<br /> Thanks for reading.</p>

<p>Your film has latitude which probably overshadows your fine tuning. I've never used the AE-1P, but in most of Canon's cameras with electronic shutters, the readout merely shows an estimate of speed or aperture, but the actual shutter speed used is continuously variable regardless of the increments shown in the finder.</p>

<p>Actually, the AE1-p doesn't show the shutter speed at all in the viewfinder, just approximate aperture. But, as Stephen said, the electronics will select f-stops and/or shutter speeds in smaller incriments than a full stop.<br />If your metering needs to be that precise, you might want to consider either the F-1N or the T-90 bodies. The F-1N has the option for a spot metering screen, along with many options for aperture priority, shutter priority, or stop down metering and the T-90 has a choice of average, partial, or spot metering built right into the camera. The downside of either of these...more weight.</p>

<p>Yes, the display is only in full-stops, but the actual aperture used isn't. I've read that the light meters in cameras from the AE-1's day were more accurate than today's, because so many people used slide film then, and later they used print film, and now with digital, people preview every shot they take just about. I can't say that it's true, but I do know that the light meter in your camera should be very accurate. There's also an AE-lock button on the AE-1P so you can get more accurate exposures that way as well. When looking through the viewfinder, it's the button to the left, just behind the lens on the top of the other button.</p>

<p>I always thought that the metering method (average,partial,spot) were the most important parameters when shooting slide film?Probably why I love the F Series so much,partial metering (you know exactly what the camera sees)and 'real time' read out in the viewfinder.I don't think any A Series had it.Just a metering lock button with a center weighed average screen.I always called my A's print film bodies......</p>

<p>Yes, I must agree with you there Douglas. The major gripe I have with my Canon EF (which I love) is it´s centre weighted metering. When I first got it last year I needed to run some tests to try and understand how the metering was weighted, and of course it´s very iffy with vertical format shots. On my FTBn I know exactly what it´s metering, and I really like that. I suppose centre weighted was developed for action photography where there´s no time for metering adjustments and the camera is set on auto..</p>