Swapping from Nikon

marcus_andrewes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The quoted prices are taken directly from Photo & Video International in Christchurch and are current as of this moment...! I also did not say that it was cheaper to import - other posters suggested it as a solution. P&V advised me this morning that Nikon prices in NZ are going up again by the end of February, btw.</p>

<p>I do not expect those 'sectors of the community' who feel offended that anyone might want to change their gear because of the price to chime into a debate which actually asked what Canon gear would be the equivalent of my Nikon gear and what other "good reasons" they might have for sensibly advising against it.</p>

<p>The whole point of the original thread (and thanks Yakim for pointing it out!) was a debate on whether it was wise to change because of cost going forward - hardly something I would concern myself with if I could afford it happily!</p>

<p>Those who wish to <rant> because my gear choices and brand choices - or the amount I choose to spend in comparison with them - do not happen to co-exist with their personal prejudices really should find somewhere else to do it. This is supposed to be a forum for constructive advice, not trolling and flaming! As my old teachers used to say "Read the question!"</p>

<p >Might I suggest Marcus, as has been suggest previously, that you do some research and check some other sources to buy from within NZL. (or consider buying from Oz, for big outlays it would save a few dollars only)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Its not a case of ‘flaming’ ‘trolling’ or any other negative connotation you wish place when another point of view is pointed out. Or perhaps this is as people do they sometimes just get stuck in one frame of mind and believe they are being attacked. And perhaps you were, by being called ‘absurd’ but as I mentioned you have to expect that if one hand you saying you update your gear consistently with the expensive latest equipment, and then on the other complain about the price, inevitably some people with think its absurd—I am not making a judgment but pointing out human nature.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > But you have said in this thread that your reasons are primarily money based, I am trying help and to point out that your quoted prices appear to be incorrect and thus your (primary) reasons are undermined and less credible; for example you said

“For various reasons, primarily because Nikon overcharge too much here in NZ, I am thinking of switching wholesale to Canon.” or “The primary reason for changing is an on-going cost issue.”</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As I pointed out at earlier $8000 US for the D3x is equivalent at this moment to $15 663 NZL. So this quote of yours in the OP is incorrect, as the D3x is available for as little as $15 900-$16 000 in NZL at this moment. Even your stated quote for the price from Photo and Video International NZ of $17 500 is incorrect, a quick check on their site shows they list it for $16 900 with CF 8GB. Also it was only a few weeks ago you were complaining? (<a href="../equipment/nikon/D3X/preview/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3X/preview/</a>) Saying incorrectly that the D3x was $21 500 NZL in another post here on this forum, when in actual fact people bought them for at that time $15 850.00 in NZL (a little research goes a long way)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You also stated earlier in this thread that the D3 is $9590.00 NZL where as they have been selling over the past few weeks up until yesterday, for as little depending on the supplier, for as $6000 -$6200 a couple of weeks ago $6200 a few days ago and easily obtained for $6700-$6900 NZL—that’s a long way off $9590.00!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Again you said the D700 is NZ$6850.00 where as you can buy it for $4550.00…again a big difference!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So to finish I simply suggest you do a little more research into pricing, if you still feel the Nikon equipment is still too pricey for you in the long term (weighed up against what ever virtues or benefits it may have in quality etc.) then by all means change (personally I like canon gear—actually I like some of the lenses, their range and wish they would fit on Nikon bodies, but ya get that eh). I just thought you should be better informed (and others not misinformed) before making what would be a significant cost to you, as well as change to you methods etc…if you prefer to just hear that’s it’s a good idea to change and all your pricing and info is correct ..then no problem..its all correct, I wouldn’t bother with Nikon for a second-ditch the stuff as fast as you can (j/kidding-semi sarcasium –relax)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >all the best Andrew</p>

<p>Over 10 years the pricing policy of canon and nikon may change so one can't project over that period with any certainty, with the strengthening yen you may see Canon increase their prices too in NZ. Your 15k savings could evaporate just like a banks profit on mortgages backed securities.</p>

<p>Hi Marcus (with a “c”),</p>

<p>Interesting thread and I joined “photog“ just to put my 2 cents worth in here. I’m a fairly lousy amateur photographer and barely know an f-stop from a door stop but I do have a handle on business and investment.</p>

<p>From my perspective you can break your problem into three distinct questions:</p>

<ol type="1">

<li>What are the best tools for the job?</li>

</ol>

<p>Other posters have answered that extremely knowledgably and you are clear on that question yourself. NIKON vs. CANON seems to be a tie here.</p>

<ol>

<li>Why don’t I like NIKON even though I have invested heavily in it?</li>

</ol>

<p>I detect an emotional element in your postings based on the NIKON warranty and their pricing policies. If this is serious for you, change to CANON but that would be an emotional decision, not a rational business one. What is the warranty coverage really worth? How often are there reasons to use it? How often do you work outside NZ where the worldwide warranty that CANON offers really (potentially) makes a difference? Do a risk assessment and if you determine likelyhoods of more than say 50% then go and change. This would then make a swop a sound business decision.</p>

<ol type="1">

<li>Long-term cost of investment into a system</li>

</ol>

<p>If you want to look at this as purely a business decision then your previously made assumptions are wrong (in an accounting/finance sense):</p>

<p><strong><em>The question is very much a long term cost one</em></strong><em>: If I buy one Nikon pro body every 3 years for say the next 21 years, at current prices I will pay between NZ$66,000 and NZ$122,000. (using D3 and D3x prices)<br />The same Canon bodies (ignoring the EOS5D Mk2) would cost between NZ$48,000 and NZ$85,000. (EOS 1D Mk3 and EOS 1Ds Mk3)<br />Switching now to Canon would therefore save between NZ$18,000 and NZ$37,000 over that 21 year period.</em></p>

<p>a) cost of swapping<br>

Your current gear was bought for 100, you’ve used it for a period so it’s depreciated to something less than 100 (say 60, your accountant will give you the exact details). You buy equivalent CANON gear new for say 90. The difference of 30 needs to be financed with an interest rate (if you have the cash in the back you get interest, if you have to ask for a business loan you pay their lending rate, in investing you use an “opportunity cost rate” which is higher than the lending rate from a bank!). So, financing the difference of 30 over 21 years of your remaining career will calculate to quite a tidy amount – check with your accountant/tax adviser what the actual figures should be! You should also run the numbers with best-guess trade-in prices to compare.<br>

b) future cost of maintaining the system (i.e. upgrading to your requirements)<br>

You say if you compare the body costs between N and C and there is always a significant price difference. If you want to look at the value of a future investment you cannot compare at todays prices! In investment you use the “Net Present Value” (NPV). It basically states that a dollar today is worth a dollar today (duh, obviously). But spending or getting a dollar tomorrow is worth less today (there is that interest rate again). A dollar next year is only say 95 cents today because you can invest that at maybe 5% interest and it will grow to a dollar in that period. If you are looking at an upgrade cycle of 3 years a dollar then is only worth about 86 cents today (based on an interest rate of only 5%! – higher rates mean less cents). In other words the real NPV of the investment difference is smaller than you think. A dollar you want to invest in 21 years is only worth about 36 cents today (based on 5% interest).</p>

<p>So, combine the two points (upfront investment cost include future interest cost!) and NPV difference of the two systems (you need to do an “investment ladder”) and you may not save anything significant or even run a negative return. Talk to your accountant and use real figures!</p>

<p>As an aside, you could hop on a plane and buy the gear in Oz (or Singapore or Hong Kong or Tokyo or New York) and save a bundle. But, you would have to pay duty/taxes on arrival back to NZ. Since they are business assets you need to depreciate and account for them properly so any new bodies/lenses will need to be disclosed to your revenue/customs department :-(</p>

<p>I’m curious to find out what you will do. Good luck in any case.</p>

<p>Cheers – Markus (with a “k”!)</p>

• 3 weeks later...