Choosing a Light Meter in the Year 2009

bruce_mattes

<p>Pentax Spotmeter. The old analog type. As good as it gets. But it's not that small. Truthfully, I shoot Tri-X and Ilford FP4 in all sorts of 35mm and MF cameras, and in nearly every case I get get accurate exposures w/ my tiny and cheap Sekonic L-188. Best $30 I've spent on a meter. A lot of has to do w/ using the same meter for a while and learning it's characteristics and metering patterns. After a few rolls you will get comfortable w/ most any accurate meter you use.</p>

<p>Two meters that haven't been mentioned are the Gossen Luna Pro F and SBC models. The two are essentially identical except that the F can be used for flash, and the SBC is only for ambient. I have the F, but have never used the flash feature. <br>

These two models are somewhat unusual in that they have an analog readout that uses a null mechanism. To take a reading, you simply adjust the main dial until the needle matches the center (null) position on the scale. There is no need to transfer a reading to a calculator dial, as in the original Luna Pro models and many other analog meters. But, what I like most about this arrangement is that it makes it very easy and intuitive to compare readings from different parts of a scene and match a reading to the desired exposure level ("placing" a reading in Zone-speak).<br>

I usually use this meter with the "variable angle" attachment which can be set for 7.5 or 15 degrees and has a reflex viewer, sort of like a twin-lens reflex. The viewer is not nearly as nice as those in true spot meters or the fancier Sekonic and Minolta meters, but it works reasonably well. Without the attachment, the acceptance angle is about 30 degrees, and there is a built in diffuser for incident measurements.<br>

I think that you should be able find the meter and attachment for about $150 or less.<br>

Having said all of that, someday I would like a real spot meter!<br>

David</p>

<p>Here's another vote for the Sekonic L308s. Small, accurate, ambient, flash and incident. I loved my Autometer IVF but I hated having to change the dome for the spot attachment. It's also much larger than the 308.</p>

<p>Yes there is a distinct advantage in using a separate hand held meter.<br>

For reflected and ambient readings I find the best to be the Gossen Luna Pro SBC. This is an analog meter. If you decide on this meter try to find one that also has "Zone System" readings. Not all of them do. However, also note that it would be hard to find the 1 degree spot meter attachment for this meter and if you do, this attachment alone could cost in excess of $100 or more. On E-Bay, the cost for a used unit without attachments could be somewhere between $70-150.<br>

If after research you decide that you want a digital meter, the Sekonic L-508 or L-608 is an excellent choice. It has Reflected, Incident and 1 degree Spotmeter readings, all in one unit. The cost for a used L-608 unit on e-bay is $330+. The L-508 could come within your specified range.<br>

Good luck</p>