circular plarizing Vs linear plarizing filter

omid.semiari

<p>Hi pros.recently, I bought a linear plarizing filter since there wasn't any cpl in the market for my52mm filter size lense. my body is NikonD60 with 18-55mm lens.I want to know that should I be worry about working with linear one and I want to know exact difference if there is any.I most often take my photos in manual focusing. thank you very much.</p>

<p>Omid-I have the D90 and happen to be re-reading my user manual; I just read their statement that "The D90 can not be used with linear polarizing filters. Use the CP-L circular polarizing filter instead". The same would apply to your D60. They don't say why but the link below should answer your question. I have to admit that when I switched from a manual focus (film) camera to an auto focus (digital) camera, I replaced my Nikon linear polarizer with a circular one so I have no direct experience with using the linear one on an auto focus camera but it seems like it's not a good idea. I'll be interested in hearing form anyone who has (have you tried it and, if so, how did it turn out?). As you say that you mostly focus manually, it may affect you less but it may still be a good idea to get a circular one instead. regards, cb :-)<br /> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13143</p>

<p>Linear polarizers are not compatible with autofocus sensors, so circular polarizers became popular even in film days once AF became standard. Not sure if there are other issues specific to digital, so maybe a linear polarizer would work on manual focus but not AF, but I can't say for sure. But circular polarizers are most definitely available in 52mm, which is probably the most popular filter size (at least for Nikon). Return the linear and get circular.</p>

<p>Omid- You are welcome; glad to help. I'm not sure where you are located but if you can't find what you are looking for, check on-line at Adorama or B&H or Amazon. You don't have to get a Nikon polarizer - they are expensive and can be hard to find (I got mine at a good price in Tokyo a few years ago); Tiffen are good and there are others that as good as well. regards! cb</p>

<p >The polarizing screen is likely the most valuable filter to have in your gadget bag. The origin is Icelandic Spar. Scientist peering through this transparent mineral saw a double image. Dr. Edwin Land devised a method to manufacture plastic sheets imbedded with these minerals. This was the origin of the Polaroid Corporation. The filter behaves as if it were ruled with microscopic parallel lines. Rays of light travel as vibrating waves that resemble water waves. Whereas water waves vibrate in an up and down direction, light waves are not so restrained, they normally vibrated in all direction i.e. up-down – left-right and diagonal etc. Light from the sun and other sources vibrates in all planes thus the waves are not aligned. When light strikes non-conductive materials the reflected and transmitted light rays are often aligned in just one direction of vibration. The polarizing filter only allows rays to pass that are orientated in one direction. This action subdues reflection from non-conductors, darkens sky, and affords haze penetration like a UV filter. The polarizer is most valuable to permit penetration through glass windows and below the surface of a body of water. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The design of the filter must be linear meaning the planes of the rulings are parallel meaning all run in the same direction. The automation sensors, in some cameras depend on internal polarizing filters to gather data. Thus if a polarizing screen is mounted on these models, the additional polarizing effect can interfere. A circular polarizer is often suggested as a countermeasure although this too can interfere depending on the design of the camera system. Only trial-and-error testing can make an accurate determination. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >In any event the circular polarizer is actually two filters sandwiched together. The first is a standard linear that does the deed. The second scrambles the light waves so they are no longer aligned (non-polarized) thus reducing the likelihood of camera system interference. This combination works almost as well as a linear however the combination contributes to increased flare. To gain the best effects, the photographer must rotate the filter about its axis while observing the action of the filter. Thus the filter mount allows this rotation. The price we pay is 2 stops of attenuation and increased flare. Most times the benefits outweigh the degradation. </p>