Strongly considering a 450d (XSI) with a 10-22lens.

claytontullos

<p>Currently, I own a canon G9 and a Elan7n.</p>

<p>I do not use my Elan7n anymore because getting the film developed and scanning it in is just a huge hassle. I'm also wondering what I might be able to sell my elan7n/with battery grip for?</p>

<p>Right now I have a 50 1.8 and the 70-200f4L lenses in my arsenal along with a 430ex flash.</p>

<p>I haven't yet handled the 450d, but I understand it to be on the smaller side. I believe the elan7 is on par with the 40/50d as far as size goes.</p>

<p>Which brings me to whats eating at me right now. For the price of the 450d and the 10-22, I could buy a 50d or a 50d with a cheaper kit lens.<br>

I like shooting Landscapes the most.</p>

<p>I'm just wondering what you all think. Thanks.</p>

<p>As for the 450D ... I highly recommend to handle it yourself first. I personally would prefer a larger camera body just from the way it feels in the hands. But you might eventually add the batterygrip. Technically, the 450D is a very capable camera.<br>

As for the 10-22 ... that is a really fine lens.</p>

<p>I went from a 7e to a XTi. The size and build quality of the XTi have been non issues for me, but the small peep hole of a viewfinder is. Very difficult to use manual focus, especially with tele lenses or in less than bright light. I would check this bit out as well as how it feels to you. On the other hand apart from that gripe it is a sweet little camera and I find its small size is often an asset when travelling or just out and about. I would think the XSi 450D to be similar but better.<br>

I think for landscapes the 50D would be a better camera, better viewfinder, but not as good as the 7e, and the higher res will be marginally better for detail. You probably should also consider a 5D, now that would be very nice for landscapes too.</p>

<p>If the choice was a 50D with the 18-55mm IS or the 450D with the 10-22mm and I wasn't going to buy anything for a while. I'd go for the 450D. Especially if you like to shoot wide. Why not pick up a second hand 40D and 10-22 for about the same $$ as the new 450D/10-22 new?</p>

<p>I'd go for the XTi in your case. It will shoot landscapes just as well as the X0D bodies and unless you will make some very big prints the difference in MP will be insignificant. (It isn't that significant even if you do make large prints.)</p>

<p>The 10-22 and this body should do well for cropped sensor landscape shooting.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I have the 450D (Rebel XSi here in the States) and the Tokina 11-16/2.8. I absolutely love the combination; the Tokina lens is amazing. I've been using it all weekend to exploit its weaknesses and have found none. Tried to get reduced image quality shooting wide open at a club on Friday night, then tried to push the envelope to get some chromatic aberration and purple fringing today. All results looked really good to great. I've not found the 450D to be too small, but that's subjective. The 450D with the battery grip attached feels to me alot like my old Elan 7 with the battery grip attached. Good luck with your purchase!</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman </p>

<p>Maybe consider some cheaper UW alternatives. I have used a few UW's and settled on a used Canon 10-22. However in real world situations I did not notice much, if any photo quality differences between any them. I believe the Sigma 10-20 ( which is a very good lens ) is only about $400 new. As much as I like the 10-22 ( lately I keep it on my camera almost all the time ) I do not feel its worth $700.</p>

<p>I do suggest you handle the camera, while smaller sounds better I prefer the feel and better functionality of a 40/50/5D over any of the Rebels. Your opinion may vary - another reason you should handle it yourself and not just go by others opinions.</p>

<p>Clayton, please remember that all pixels are indeed not created equal. The photo receptors (pixels) on the sensor of your G9 are significantly smaller than the photo receptors (pixels) on the sensor of the 10 MP 40D. Hence, the 40D will produce better image quality in a given photo situation, all else being equal. The difference of the 40D's higher IQ will be especially noticeable at high ISOs or when making significant enlargements, and probably also in dynamic range.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>I think I am going to wait a month for the PMA to be over with to see if Canon announces the 500d. Some websites seem to think that it is likely. I've pretty much settled on getting the 10-22 and if canon announces a price increase I might just buy the lens before buying the camera.<br>

I'd hate to buy the 450d and have its replacement announced or released a month later.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Clayton whatever body you get I can promise you a better one will be available soon after. However, you did miss the US rebates so the 10-22 price has jumped back up a bit. You may want to consider the used market for this lens, with so many people moving to full frame I see quite a bit more of them on CL. It is a very good lens, I am sure you will enjoy it.</p>

<p>I understand the quick succession of models and if it were any longer than a month or two I would not wait.</p>

<p>Assuming a 500d is announced, I will either wait for it to become available or wait for the inevitable price drop of the 450d. If a 500d is not announced, I will go ahead and buy the 450d.</p>