Teleconverters for Pentax K mount - which?

jacques c pelletier

<p>Hi to all.<br />I still have in mind to get the DA*300mm F4 and was wondering which TC would work best (SDM) with it:<br />Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter<br />or<br />Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter<br />Would the same TC also work on other lenses?<br />Any comment/response would be greatly appreciated.<br />JP<br />I was also considering the Bigma, but not so sure anymore, and I already have a Sigma TC which would also work with this BigMa.</p>

<p>I have the Kenko 1.5x and its performance exceeded my expectations. Now I didn't use it on a DA* lens (is the DA* 300 an SDM lens?), but I did use it on a A* 200mm f2.8 lens. Because that lens starts at a very high level of quality, the TC didn't diminish the image all that much. The benefit of the TC is relatively cheap and lightweight reach. Build quality of the Kenko was very good as well.</p>

<p>Regarding the Bigma vs. others, it depends upon your shooting and budget requirements. I like the Bigma because it lets me hit 500mm for birds and critters for a decent price. I also like the lens' ergonomics. Optically it's about as good as the price point and benefits of having a zoom will get. For fine art shots, I will still shoot with the A*200mm because of superior optics.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Michael, thanks for the info.<br>

Yes, the DA*300 F4 is an SDM lens. I am not sure where I saw that, perhaps here, but seemingly this Kenko Tc would work with SDM lenses.<br>

I do a lot of bird photography, or trying to, and I found my 100-300 sometimes a bit short, in spite of the 1.4X TC. However, going with the DA*300 would not add to the focal length but maybe to the quality of the image. That would have to be confirmed though. It is also weather sealed and the SDM being very quiet would allow for less missed shots. I am sure the noisy AF of the Sigma 100-300 has scared more than a few birds away already. Another thing I found is that at full 300mm plus TC, the Sigma sometimes does not quite "make it" in terms of sharpness.<br>

Anyway, that is one big decision because if I am to get the Pentax DA*300 F4 I will probably have to let go of the Sigma 100-300 F4, with reason: no use to carry both around, right?<br>

The Bigma would be an interesting choice as well.<br>

Cheers to you.<br>

JP</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 100-300 would be nice for sports etc but I think the DA* 300 is probably the better choice for birding--it's a really nice lens. Used Tamron TC's show up from time to time on eBay so keep an eye out. The thing is, I don't know if there are versions which <em>don't</em> support SDM: the box mine came in says "FOR PENTAX ZAF" whatever that means. I'd give you the text on the TC itself but I lent it to my son (along with the 300mm) some time ago now that I think of it. Hmmmm--maybe I should give him a call ;~)</p>

<p>I agree that for some sports, this 100-300 is quite capable. On the other hand, weighing sports against bird photo, I'd say it is a 1:50 ratio in favour of the bird/animal ohotography, so this DA*300 might be a better lens for that reason.<br>

I saw, on a web search, that the Tamron TC you mention will AF but also disable the anti-vibration of the K10D/K20D ??? Is that a fact and how could that be? With this long focal length you'd better have the anti-vibration working because you'd need super-lighting in order to use a high enough speed to freeze the action, if at all possible.<br>

Thanks again for the info.<br>

JP</p>

<p>One more thought Jacques:<br>

Since you already have a 300mm in the Sigma, why stop there? Really, for birds 400mm is the starting point. If you are looking at dropping $1000+ for a DA* 300m + a TC, why not just get a 400mm? You can find very good used manual 400mm lenses in Pentax mount. Then you can add on a 1.4 X AF TC and you're in the nest.</p>

<p>Or get one of those excellent Sigma manual 400mm lenses, use your existing 1.4xTC, shoot manually (I don't mind) and save for that $5000 f2.8 Pentax 400mm or the 400-600mm zoom. They are rare, but you know, in a depression they will be available.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I use the Tamron 1.4X, it works well with my 50-135 with the high speed focus, where the Kenko 1.5 did not. I am very satisfied with the Tamron Teleconverter. I use it all the time with my Tamron 90mm macro lens. I have been testing the 1.4 with my Pentax 16-50mm. lens. It allows me to extend the tange and still have a fairly fast lens.</p>

<p>The only way to disable the SR on ay of the Pentax DSLRs is to physically turn the switch to the OFF position or to use the 2-sec delay. When you use a TC you may lose electrical information that tells the camera what focal length the lens is, BUT it will prompt you to input the focal length of your combo, ie; 450mm and then the SR will work perfectly (up to 800mm).</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

Yes, the starting point is 400mm, as I quickly found out when I started doing bird phto. The Sigma 100-300 plus the TC gives me 420mm, not counting the K10D/K20D 1.5X "conversion".<br>

You have a goood point: why drop so much $$$ when I can, hopefully, find a decent used tele?<br>

I have searched a bit, but there seems to be a huge shortage of those types of lenses, at least for Pentax. On the other hand, I am not that quick using manual focus when taking bird shots, but at least I can get focus confirmation from the camera.<br>

I thank you for the input, it is much appreciated.<br>

JP</p>

<p>James, so this Tamron TC 1.4X is the PZ - AF Mc4, right? If that is so, it certainly would work with a DA*300 F4.<br>

After Michael's reply above, I am now considering a "used" 400mm lens with a TC as well. You see, this bird photography (and other animals) requires a minimum 400mm focal length, unless you want a Great Blue Heron which will look the size of a Hummingbird!<br>

I could always get the Tamron TC anyway for the existing lenses I already have and that would work with it, and search for an available used 400mm lens and TC somewhere.<br>

Oh well, this is again becoming more and more confusing.<br>

Thanks for the input!<br>

JP</p>

<p>Tom, I am somewhat confused here.<br>

You are saying that "<em>it will prompt you to input the focal length of your combo, ie; 450mm and then the SR will work perfectly</em>" ... I am told that, for instance, if the lens is a 300mm, then you would input the actual focal length of that lens only, not the combo. But you are making a point: the "combo-lens" would now beacome a 420mm and that is what you would input, right?<br>

I don't have that problem with the Sigma 100-300 with the Sigma 1.4X TC because the camera automatically registers the focal length, lens + TC.<br>

JP</p>

<p>Jacques:<br>

I have the Tamron 1.4 X teleconverter as well. I use it with my Sigma 200-500 for birds (as well as various other Tamron lens). I just checked the combination on the camera, and according to the image playback on the camera, it does not disable the antishake, and it did not ask for a focal length, but it does record the focal length of the lens without the 1.4 X factor.<br>

LGH</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3872256">Jacques </a></p>

<p>I just wroteabout the same thing at www.pentaxforums.com/ forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50145-tc-pentax-da-lenses.html</p>

<p>You just have to link up the two.<br>

Basically the pZ-AF1.5X Kenko/Tamron 1.5x works flawlessly (both AF and SDM) with DA*200mm & 300mm.<br>

The TC does recommend using long prime lens of F2,8 or faster</p>

<p>Daniel</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jacques<br>

It just happens that mine is the 1.5x version. Hope this gives you the direct link of what we have been discussing<br>

<a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50145-tc-pentax-da-lenses.html">http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50145-tc-pentax-da-lenses.html</a><br>

I am sure one of the 1.4x versions also works flawlessly (both AF & SDM)</p>

<p>Daniel </p>