Does any one knows what kind of equipment that is? Hockey arena flash?

freddy.tu

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I've been trying to get a media pass for a NHL game in my hometown and the person in charge told be that in order to obtain a pass that will allow me to take picture from the prime spots, I needed a device that would trigger an external flash that is built-in the arena. That kind of flash is suppose to give the optimal lighting for any players shot. Anyways, I know my description sounds a little bit sketchy there, but have anyone heard of that before?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>lol Umesh. It's something you attach to your camera hotshoe, kind of like the Nikon SU-800 and it remotely activate a flash that illuminates the entire rink when you're taking your picture.<br>

<br /> @Alec: I'll try to check that out. Thanks!</p>

<p>Many photographers for either sports information or marketing offices set up strobes high in the arena. Because of their distance from the floor, they are usually Pocket Wizards. Once you obtain your pw, just find out which channel you've been assigned and set yours accordingly. The downside of arena strobes is the recycle time. Their recycle time is too slow for multiple frames per second bursts so you will have to time the action and use single shot settings.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Usually at a NHL game there is an assigned photographer to shoot the game either for the team/league, AP or the local media. The strobe system set in the overhead is operated wirelessly (most use Pocket Wizards) and is set to a frequency for the assigned shooter. If a shooter for another paper/magazine wants strobes, then they most often need to set up their own overhead strobes in the catwalks and use a different radio frequency than any of the other set ups. Every once in a while (not often) you may find a system that someone has set up, but you need permission to access it if that shooter is not using it.<br>

If you tap into someone else's system there is going to be someone around who is not very happy.</p>