Black Band in Manual Mode on Xsi

a._j._jacobs

<p>Hello all!<br>

I was just trying to do some still life shots, when I noticed that when I'm shooting in "M" I get a thick black band on the bottom of my photos. First thought was "oh great my camera is broken". However I tested it in all the other modes and I only have this problem in Manual mode. Anyone have any idea what this is or how to fix it? I'm attaching a photo of what I'm talking about.<br>

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!</p><div>00SHTH-107480084.jpg.7e92c0000bb7bd02c73c783c5861523a.jpg</div>

<p>FWIW, if you stick with just the 430EXII in your camera's hotshoe and don't use the AB strobe and turn on high-speed sync on your flash, you would not be limited to the x-sync of 1/200. For indoors shooting you're better off with the AB hooked up, but if you're shooting outdoors, especially at wider apertures, your 430EXII would make a nice fill flash but you'd need to enable HSS to get a fast enough shutter speed.</p>

<p>Once we all had to worry about these things, back before "automatic" flashes, and the like. We had to set our cameras to some pokey speed like 1/50th of a second (often marked with an X on the speed dial), and calculate the aperture from the distance and guide number.<br>

What's a <em>guide number</em> , you ask? Just be glad you don't have to worry about it. But just remember, "Manual" means you have to do it <strong><em>all</em> </strong> , so you either need to use automatic or you do need to figure it out.....<br>

Whatever Jason says.... Geez, I sure hope the 430 flash I just bought comes with a manual. GNs were maybe no more difficult than keeping track of the functions available. ;)</p>

<p>Thanks, Bueh. My last flash pictures were with a Nikkormat EL and a Rollei flash about 30 years ago. After that, I just used faster film. So you may need to explain <em>this</em> to me, just as you occasionally have at other times. ;)<br /> Stimulated by my incomprehension of Jason's post, I did go to the big-bookstore-on-the net and bought a Speedlite book, maybe that will help :p<br>

The same might be suggested to the OP.</p>

<p>I think everyone is confused. I <b>know</b> how to use the flash, just not the AlienBee Unit lol. I've had it less than a month and have never used strobe lighting before, so that's my issue. So if anything I need a book on those :) I don't know though, the trial and error (and asking you guys) method seems to be working...lol!:)</p>

<p>Jason's post was crystal-clear: High-speed sync rules and provides the capability for (fill) flash at all speeds (at vastly reduced power). A lot of my portrait shots use this feature -- aperture wide open, outdoor daylight and just a hint of fill flash despite the fast shutter speeds.</p>

<p>You don't really need a book for understanding the EX Speedlites, the bible is <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/">right here</a> on the net. Be warned: you will notice odd light metering/auto exposure results with dedicated flashes (i.e., sudden changes in shutter speeds when switching on a flash unit). It is a feature and cannot be turned off (and it will lead to underexposed pictures). It's called NEVEC (negative evaluative exposure compensation).</p>

<p>Well, a book can't hurt, although I appreciate the link.This is going to be like starting all over again for me.</p>

<p>I'm quite sure that Jason's post was clear to those who knew, for example, that <em>HSS</em> was "High-speed Sync". If you didn't know that and I didn't, then not so clear. HSS was not a problem with my Nikkormat and the Rollei flash. ;)<br>

I think there's plenty of "confusion" to go around for all participants here.</p>