Very confused as to which Gitzo

derrickdehaan

<p>Just as the title reads, I am confused as to which Gitzo tripod will meet me needs the best and be the most stable. Here is a list of what will be mounted:<br>

Wimberley Gimble type head II w/ Acra-Swiss plate, Canon 40D w/grip and a Canon 600mm f/4 IS.<br>

My current tripod is the 055MF3 Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod. Its a fantastic tripod, but not rated for a setup like this. So, I am heading towards a Gitzo. Now, this is where I am getting confused. I doubt I need a center column? Correct? <br>

Which series is best for my needs? I don't need super light, but who wants to pack something too heavy when also shouldering a 600mm? Should I be looking at systematic series? I am totally lost.<br>

I am considering this, the Gitzo GT 3530LS: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568743-REG/Gitzo_GT3530LS_GT3530LS_Long_Systematic_6X.html#specifications">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568743-REG/Gitzo_GT3530LS_GT3530LS_Long_Systematic_6X.html#specifications</a><br>

It appears to have a top plate. Of which I can mount my wimberley to?<br>

Any thoughts or other suggestions? <br>

Sorry for another "which tripod" thread, but I am seriously confused and its a sizable amount of money.<br>

Derrick</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Either the 3530LS or the 3540LS will meet your needs just fine. The 30 is 3 section and the 40 is 4 section. The 40 will fold down small enough to carry on-board... the 30 will not. The 40 is sturdy enough with ALL 4 sections extended to use what you have... a lot of birders have this model and use the wimberly and the 600mm.<br>

The S stands for Systematic and comes with a flat removable plate which has a mount screw. I also have the optional center column which is fantastic. It is simply the best tripod made and will last you a lifetime.</p>

<p>The 5 series 6X carbon series is franly overkill for a 600mm. Maybe for a HEAVY 8X10 view.</p>

<p>Derrick,</p>

<p>I think most of us can relate. I went through the same confusion and got the Systematic - the 3541LS to be specific, and am delighted with it. The ballhead goes on the top plate as you guessed, and I concur that you probably won't want the center post with that lens. You might if you were doing macro work, but the beauty of the Systematic is the ability to swap things out if needed. I don't have a lens as long as the 600mm, but I can't imagine that the 3 series would be phased by that setup - the 5 series does look huge.</p>

<p>I'd suggest a GT-5530LS for a 600/4 lens and Wimberly mount. You might get by with a GT-3530LS or GT-3540LS, but with marginal wind tolerance with such a long lens. Pick a "Systematic" model so you can use a leveling platform under the Wimberly. It's much more solid than a column and panning is much easier when the head is level. The standard center plate would work too. The 5530 is only a pound heavier than the 3530/40 model, which should be easy to carry by hand or on a strap. It is less than half the weight of my aluminum 1504.</p>

<p>I use a 3540 with a big video camera and 600mm (equivalent) lens, but indoors only. You have to be very careful to keep it steady.</p>

<p>You probably don't need the extra tall "long" version (3540XLS or 5560) unless you do a lot of shooting pointed upwards (e.g., flying birds). You could always add a column to a "Systematic" tripod if you find you can't live without one.</p>

<p>I am guessing that the GT-5541LS is just a newer version of the 5540LS? I found it on B&H. Looks like a beast of a tripod, but thats a big chunck of change! Especially for a dedicated tripod. Looks like I may not be keeping the 055MF3 after all....<br>

Is this the product you would suggest Edward? <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569168-REG/Gitzo_GT5541LS_GT5541LS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html#reviews">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569168-REG/Gitzo_GT5541LS_GT5541LS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html#reviews</a> And can the wimberley rotate freely enough with the plate that is on these legs? Appreciate your help, or anyones.<br>

Derrick</p>