Inspiration

jacobcockle

<p >Who in yours eyes have been the most inferential nature photographers? In particular I’m looking for people that have photographed the elements. .</p>

<p >I'm looking for photographers that have there style and views of the world around them. </p>

<p ></p>

<p >Thanks,</p>

<p >Jacob</p>

<p>That's a great question. I dont really know what youre looking for, but i have a question, influential over who, the U.S., the world, myself, or another great photographer, or the entire industry and over what period of time? I've never been trained, but i'll be those that have can real off a list a foot long of great and influential nature photographers. . .<br>

<br /> I've never really payed much attention to other photographers, I'm not being pompus, I'm saying that I really never cared much not because I dont appreciate good photos but because I always have shot from the heart and never mind what any other photographer was doing.<br>

<br /> That said, I would be ignoring some truth if I did not at least mention Ansel Adams (I saw his images when I was a young kid and did not even know, at the time, what I was looking at) and Art Wolfe, who's material I also saw at REI in Seattle, WA as a youngster (I'm not from there, I just remember seeing it there) and I'd have to add one more, mainly because you really should not miss out on him if youre starting out, and that's John Shaw, he is a great teacher. I know many will say gaylen rowel, but i've only ever seen a couple of his photos on the cover of OP and they were okay, but he's has quite the reputation as being one of the best before his untimely death. . .<br /> Id say that aside for basic techniques, my inspiration and influence over my images comes from my body and mind, and the more stressful my life, the better, it turns out, are my images. . .<br>

<br /> I've never really looked at other peoples work, with the kind of eye that much of it deserves. . . here's a sample of some of my shots from last year. . .<br /> http://www.tonybynum.com/gallery/6496356_6g6aw#P-1-25</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Most influential? Here's ten, in no particular order.</p>

<p>Timothy O'Sullivan<br>

Eadweard Muybridge<br>

Ansel Adams<br>

Edward Weston<br>

Robert Adams<br>

Henry Jackson<br>

Paul Caponigro<br>

Eliot Porter<br>

Minor White<br>

Shinzo Maeda</p>

<p>If we can consider parks Nature, I'd make this a lucky thirteen:</p>

<p>Lee Friedlander,<br>

Josef Sudek<br>

Atget</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Among photo.net photographers, I think Marc Adamus best exemplifies the dedication and skill necessary to obtain outstanding images of nature and the grand landscape, and he does so from a personal passion for the natural world.</p>

<p>This really is a question that can be answered in so many different ways, depending on what one specifically might have in mind. There are so many great contemporary photographers whose work has a tremendous influence due to their quality and the way images are distributed to such big audiences these days. But what about the pioneers? In Sweden, in the 1930's and 40's, there was a keen ornithologist and talented nature photographer who found that the available equipment wasn't quite up to the job. An entrepreneur of the first degree, he set about to invent a better camera system. His name? Victor Hasselblad! Not many have had the opportunity to see his photographs, but they are really quite excellent for its time. Now, wildlife photographers today rarely use the Hasselblad camera, but for landscapes it's still a remarkable camera. Ansel Adams used it, among others. So, while his photographs might not have made a big impact, his camera certainly has!</p>

<p>the ones that were excellent teachers through their books as well as great photographers were my biggest influences. Practically memorizing Ansel Adams' photography and the Negative,Print and Camera book series was a huge influence when I was just starting out. For color nature photography, it would be Galen Rowell and his books as an introduction to color and his techniques, thought process on taking photos. I still remember opening one of his books and thinking "holy sh%t!" I had no idea about the potential of color until then.<br /> Over the years, the awe has worn off for the two but still a deep respect for what they taught and their photography, as well.</p>

<p >Galen Rowell had a great knack to find and use extraordinary light. I enjoyed his books and writings. They sometimes became very technical yet he used that knowledge in his photography instead of impeding his artistic ability. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >After again viewing Marc Adamus’s portfolio and his stunning images, I think he exceeds even Galen’s work.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>There are too many to list and it depends a great deal on what interests you. Two I can recommend are John Shaw who is also a great teacher (I did two of his workshops in Florida in the late eighties-early nineties) and has written a number of excellent books, and Eliot Porter who also has a number of books to his credit. A lesser known nature photographer and author is David Middleton who published a superb book on old growth forests with vivid descriptions of the animal, bird and insect life that depends on this type of forest for their survival. Middleton also assisted John Shaw on some of the workshops.</p>