580 ex II and pocketwizards + Strobes

richie_boone

<p>I just received a set of Pocketwizards.<br>

Very nice, except the hot-shoe connection seems very cheap. Anyway, it took a while to get my Sekonic L358<br>

to work with it, but now it all set up. While I was playing with different combinations, since I only have 2 PW's<br>

I discovered that in the event I need another light, I could use my PW with my 580 EX II to trigger off my strobes. <br>

Is this normal? I mean have others used this type of set up?<br>

Also, I have Photoflex Multi clamp, even with the clamp taped off 580 EX II will not fire?</p>

<p> multi clamp: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42160-REG/Photoflex_AC_BSWCP_Multiclamp_with_Shoe_Mount.html#features">click here</a><br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p><em>"I could use my PW with my 580 EX II to trigger off my strobes. <br />Is this normal?"</em><br>

<em></em><br>

A bit over the top maybe just for triggering your strobes, but it will still do the job nicely. If you are happy with the results then why not stay with that method?</p>

<p><em>"Also, I have Photoflex Multi clamp, even with the clamp taped off 580 EX II will not fire?"</em><br>

<em></em><br>

If your 580EX fires happily off the multi-clamp but won't fire when attached to it then I would assume that your taping off of the clamp is simply not enough. Whichever halfwit invents these stupid flash clamps with metal hot shoe attachments needs a lobotomy. Good grief, this is kids stuff. Good quality ABS plastic is what's needed for the flash mount. Any metal can just send the flashguns haywire.</p>

<p>I agree with Doug, huh? I use a 580 EX II and Minolta's 360 PX's with PW's in Photoflex softboxes and triggered by the Sekonic L-358 and/or camera (any Minolta, Canon or 4x5). I never encountered problems with Photoflex's clamps, and the flashes sit in plastic lined or metal clamps. But then, I run cameras and all the flashes in manual mode through the external sync connector(s). I'm curious what setup you're using.</p>

<p>Yep--very unclear what you are talking about. Just remember that you can't mix the Canon wireless system with a Pocket Wizard setup. And, the 580EX, when used in ETTL with other, non ETTL stobes, will set off those strobes prematurely because of the pre flash emitted.</p>

<p>If used in manual flash mode, the 580EX, and other strobes, can fire another strobe fitted with an optical slave, keeping in mind the flash with the optical slave will respond to any flash in the area.</p>

<p>You can connect the transmitter to the camera's hot shoe and use the other PW on the 580EX. I am assuming that you are talking about studio strobes. If so, the light from the 580EX can trigger those if they are in<b> slave</b> mode.</p>

<p>The multiclamp you have attaches the 580EX to a light stand and umbrella a la <a href="http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/">strobist</a>.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that you'll need the proper connector to connect the PW to your flash. Contact Lon, at <a href="http://flashzebra.com/">Flashzebra</a>, tell him what you're trying to do and he'll send you the correct gear.</p>

<p>I think Nadine is right, your portable strobe needs to be in manual mode.</p>

<p>Also that shoe on the clamp won't work.</p>

<p>If you are trying to use 1 PW on camera and 1 PW on your 580 EX II in Manual Master mode in order to set off other EX Speedlights, I don't think you can without having your PC jack rewired. see: <a href="http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2006/11/canon-flash-auxillary-sync-mod.html#580EXIIModPC">http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2006/11/canon-flash-auxillary-sync-mod.html#580EXIIModPC</a> </p>

<p>For some odd reason Canon developed the 580 EX II so that the PC jack is deactivated in Manual Master mode. This makes it very difficult to mix Canon's proprietary wireless and 3rd party RF technology (like Pocket Wizards.)</p>

<p>Try doing a search in the forums. I read about all this here at PN. If I remember correctly, there are several threads that deal with this problem, but the website above seems to offer the only work-around. On the other hand, you might be able to work something out by attaching an optical slave to the third flash unit, but, if you want to go over distance or out of line of sight, this might not work.</p>

<p>Sorry guys, I just realized how gargled my post was.<br>

!. I am happy to get Pocket Wizards<br>

2. The Photoflex Multi clamp doesn't work with a 580 Ex II attached? I decided to just use the supplied Canon foot thing.<br>

3. While playing with the the Pocket Wizards and my strobes, I discovered that I could have 1 PW on my 1DMK3 and the other PW<br>

on my 580 Ex II and activate my strobes with the 580 Ex II. I never mixed this recipe together before.<br>

4. Has anyone ever mixed strobes with off camera flashes?<br>

5. The Sekonic L358 together with PW's are great!</p>

<p>Sorry guys, I just realized how gargled my post was.<br>

!. I am happy to get Pocket Wizards<br>

2. The Photoflex Multi clamp doesn't work with a 580 Ex II attached? I decided to just use the supplied Canon foot thing.<br>

3. While playing with the the Pocket Wizards and my strobes, I discovered that I could have 1 PW on my 1DMK3 and the other PW<br>

on my 580 Ex II and activate my strobes with the 580 Ex II. I never mixed this recipe together before.<br>

4. Has anyone ever mixed strobes with off camera flashes?<br>

5. The Sekonic L358 together with PW's are great!</p>

<p>2. It could be that the metal cold shoe on the Multi Clamp is shorting out the contacts on the foot of the 580EX. Did you use lots of tape? Was the 580EX in manual flash mode? If so, read Devon's post re the PC port deactivating in Master Manual mode.</p>

<p>3. This works if your other strobes have optical eyes or slaves, and the 580EX is in manual flash mode. Again--ETTL and/or Canon's wireless system do not mix. Preflash will set off other strobes prematurely. Check your images carefully to be sure your sensor is getting all the light you intend at one time.</p>

<p>4. Sure.</p>