SW Fla Locations - Reality Check please

macpherson

<p>I (and my new Canon 600mm f4 L IS!) are heading to SW Florida for a bird & nature shoot at the end of February. I've read through the forums and am looking for advice to be sure I didn't miss any really good spots.<br>

Starting in Ft Myers and circling around to the south and west, ending up in Orlando over the course of 7 days.<br>

The itinerary is:<br>

Snake River<br /> Little Estero<br /> Ding Darling<br /> Corkscrew<br /> Cape Coral (searching for burrowing owls)<br /> Venice Rookery & Dump<br /> Ken Thompson boat ramp - Sarasota<br /> Placida Pier - pelicans<br>

I'm after the usual assortment of herons, pelicans, egrets and the like, but have a special interest in raptors including owls, eagles, hawks and falcons. I also would like to find pink flamingos, but don't have the faintest idea where to look.<br>

Any advice on other locations that I shouldn't miss will be GREATLY appreciated!<br>

Charlie</p>

<p>Charlie,</p>

<p> I don't think you can count on wild Flamingos; my understanding is they make occasional visits to Florida (likely from the Bahamas). You will see beautiful pink Spoonbills at Ding Darling (most of the people around me thought they were actuallyflamingos).<br>

The most likely owls would be Burrowing owls, I would check the Florida Audoban site for that info, I recall they weren't too hard to find in the Keys with the proper directions. They move around from year to year so it is a good idea to check first. Ospreys are actually common and easy to find near water.<br>

I would recommend Shark Alley, on the Western side of the Everglades. The birds are very used to people so you can get just about as close to the wildlife as you feel comfortable.</p>

<p>Over by Mote Marine (Ken Thomson Parkway) there are 1-2 osprey nests. One in the radio tower, maybe still one over to the right (facing the water) in a dead (if i recall) tree. If you hang out at the Sarasota Sailing Squadren you are sure to see Ospreys. There are lots of Egrets, Pelicans, and some GBH's there too. One of the Osprey's from the tower likes to hang out in a tree in the dinghy park at the SSS after he catches a fish sometimes. Havent seem to be able to get a shot of it yet, but i know he likes to hang out there because every time im messing with the boat, he's making all sorts of noise (probably because he knows im dumb enough not take my camera that day or something...). I know that there is atleast one pair of nesting bald eagles... somewhere... in the development i live in (i know where the nest was a couple years ago, but havent seen them there in quite a while) and that there are at least 4more pairs that have been talked about in the Sarasota/Bradenton area in the last couple of years. If you can find a source that has specific nesting locations for raptors etc, pass it on!</p>

<p>edit: oh, and there are tons of Red Shouldered hawks around, you just have to look for them.</p>

<p>Charlie,<br>

St. Augustine Alligator Farm has Egret breeding nests in the spring. The birds like the trees above the gators because they are protected from the raccoons. The farm has boardwalks above the gators which can put you at eye level and in close proximity with nesting birds that are quite habituated to people walking around them.<br>

They used to have a special entrance fee and time for photogs earlier than the normal opening time to give you some peace while shooting. It usually isn't too crowded that early in the year either. <br>

best,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just got back from Florida a week ago. I went to Merritt Island, Ding Darling, Corkscrew, Cape Coral (the owls we found were around the library - look closely, it may look like no one is at the burrow, but only the head may stick up, they blend into the surroundings very well). We saw all the variety of birds you mentioned (except flamingos, but the spoonbill are very cool!). On a small island near Cape Coral, called Boca Grande, there were tons of Osprey. It is a bit out of the way, but if you want opportunities for close shots of them interacting on the nest, flying and fishing, this is an amazing spot. We had a great time in Florida, unfortunately is was very cold when we were there, but I hear it has warmed up nicely since we left! :)</p>

<p>The osprey nests are all around Boca Grande. The first one was actually midspan, on the right side of the bridge, going into the island (this is Gasparilla road). The next one was at the far side of the bridge on the left side of the road (with several more in trees nearby). Another good area was on Gulf Shores drive, which is the first road on the right, after the bridge. They are a lot of fun to watch. I never managed to catch one flying with a fish, but they are amazingly adept at getting them, and then carry them in a characteristic head first position. I never got tired of watching them hover above the water and then go diving in for the fish. Quite impressive.<br>

Dennis, I was in Cape Coral on Jan. 15th and it was really cold! I love the beautiful light you captured (seems this bird is a bit of a ham :). <br>

Asta</p>

<p>Also try Gator Land near Orlando. They have a very nice board walk through a rookery much like the one in St Augustine. You can get within feet of the birds there with no problem. March through May is the best time to visit the rookeries if you happen to go there then. It starts getting pretty hot and humid by May.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I just want to take a minute to thank all of you who responded. I'm midway through the trip right now, and on the way to shoot Ding Darling. <br>

Shark Valley was not bad - though carrying a 600mm f4 is a burden that I have to solve. It really limits the distance I'm willing to walk.<br>

The loop road 4 miles to the west wasn't really worth the effort - the vegetation grows right up to the road, leaving only very small clearings.<br>

Little Estero is nice - it would have been nicer if Florida wasn't in the middle of a cold snap - the morning was in the mid 40s with relentless 30 MPH winds! Very cool and very damp.<br>

So it's off to Ding Darling, Corkscrew, Venice, Ken Thompson boat ramp, Placida Pier and on and on...<br>

So here's my official THANK YOU! I really appreciate all the great advice.</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>So here's the year-later follow-up - and another question, as I'm going back again in a few weeks.<br>

My previous Shark Valley comments stand. Great location, but I'm not willing to walk all that far with the 600mm f4. I actually weighed it with the 1.4X, CF tripod and Induro Gimbal head with the 7D - it's 22 pounds. Now I know why!<br>

<br />Little Estero was very good, but this time, I'll be better prepared for weather. 45 degrees in a stiff wind calls for more than a short sleeve shirt. That really takes some of the starch out of your shirt!</p>

<p>Ding Darling was SPECTACULAR. I came home with a load of portfolio images. Really great stuff there!</p>

<p>Corkscrew Sanctuary was very disappointing due to the prolonged drought. It was almost completely high and dry. Perhaps this year will be better...</p>

<p>The Venice Rookery and Sarasota County Landfill - the rookery was its usual tremendous shoot. And the landfill site (which doesn't really smell like one) was jammed full of seagulls (of course), turkey vultures (too many) and several families of Bald Eagles (BINGO!)</p>

<p>One cautionary note about the Venice Rookery - it's always best to watch your step. Another photographer approached me and said "you haven't looked down, have you?" As the hair on the back of my neck stood up, I looked down and saw a 6' alligator next to my foot.</p>

<p>The Ken Thompson boat ramp was OK. But in light of all of the other great sites, it would not rank high on the list.</p>

<p>The Sanibel Captiva Bridge was also just OK. Nowhere near as much activity as the other locations. Maybe I just wasn't there at the right time.</p>

<p>The one complete failure was the burrowing owls. I went to Cape Coral and found the burrows, but NO owls. I only had an hour at mid-day, due to the tight schedule I planned out, so that didn't help. </p>

<p>I would be VERY grateful for any hints on finding Burrowing Owls. Is there a particular time of day that they're out of the burrows, or is it just a matter of patience and luck? I found the burrows near the library, but are there other more productive sites? Or are there better sites in Florida to find them?</p>

<p>And as always, I thank all of you in advance for tips and advice!</p>