Sigma 12-24mm Nion mount filter question

pierre_levasseur

<p>Hi everybody!<br>

I would like to know what is the "Rear slip-in gelatin"? From Sigma web site : ** Gelatin filter holder slot in rear part of lens barrel". Is this the same thing as the filter on telephoto lens that goes inside the lens?<br>

Also, can you put filters on the front of the lens? If yes, what size, cant find it anywhere? thanks</p>

<p>Based on my experience with mine you are out of luck on anything attaching to the front of the lens--as for a polarizer, you could use gels like the ones for lighting, although rotating it would be a severe problem.</p>

<p>I am a fan of ultrawides and currently use the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. It is threaded for 77mm on the front, and I like to use polarizers for many of my daytime shots. However, the results of the polarization can be very uneven with an ultrawide. Also, it tends to cause some darkening in the corners of the photo. I generally don't use a filter with the 11-16mm.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>I have recently bought this lens and there are 2 ways you can fit a filter to it (I haven't decided which one I am going to use yet)<br>

1. There is a fixed hood in front of this lens. The lens cap fits onto a removeable ring which sits on top of the hood. You can fit an 82mm filter onto the ring however, with the ring on, there is severe vignetting from 14 - 20mm meaning that you can only use a polariser this way from 20 - 24mm. To minimise vignetting, you'd have to buy one of the more expensive super thin ones.<br>

2. There is a metal slot in the back of the lens (just behind the rear element) for a rectangular gelatin filter 25 by 23 mm. You can get linear polarising films that can in theory fit behind a lens this way. If you are desparate to use a polariser with this lens at sub 20 mm focal lengths, then the only way I can see this being done is to cut a series of say 26 rectangles from a polarising acetate all cut from the main sheet at different angles 10deg, 20 deg, 30 deg and so on. You'd have to keep the sheets labelled and holding them up to the light judge with the naked eye which gives the best effect before slotting it in. <br>

This is surely a problem with ALL super wide angles.</p>