How to get rid of EXIF

<p>Hi there Rahul,</p>

<p>the easiest way to get rid of the EXIF data is to create a new document in Photoshop that is exactly the same size as your digital image and then copy and paste your photo into the new document. That should get rid of the EXIF data, then you can add your Copyright info through the File>File Info dialog box in Photoshop.</p>

<p>Paul Dymond<br>

</p>

<p>Hi Rahul-</p>

<p>There is a free program called ExifTool that allows editing of all image metadata. I have been using it and saw that there is a command for erasing all metadata from an image file. You could then go back and add the copyright information only. This can also work with a whole folder of images. It is a command line application, but I found that with some examples it was easy to use. </p>

<p>Here is where you download and find more information.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/">www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool</a></p>

<p>Katherine</p>

<p>Hi Paul-</p>

<p>I don't think your way is fumbling at all. :) I think that if you were only working on one image and were already in PS then that would actually be more convenient than switching programs. If you need to alter multiple images in one way then the ExifTool is probably the way to go. I used to work with a guy who would set up operations like you described as batch operations in PS. We worked in a lab and the sheer number of images that we had to process required that kind of thing. I don't know how he did it though, I'm not that good. </p>

<p>Another way to successfully wipe out the majority of EXIF data is to use GIMP as your image editor. I am not sure if the bug has been fixed in the latest releases, but the version that I have wipes out most of the EXIF data when you save the file. I didn't mind when I was just doing this for my own personal enjoyment, but now that I have stepped over the line (or jumped off the cliff, however you want to see it) and started selling my work, its very annoying. I need certain EXIF data intact and right now I have to go back and add it back in with ExifTool. I foresee a purchase of Lightroom in the near future. </p>

<p>Regards, Katherine</p>

<blockquote>Why would you want to strip out EXIF info?</blockquote>

<p>I donate my surplus EXIF data to Holga shooters. And there are starving artists using their last remaining Polaroid transfers who have never even seen...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>[image]<br /> Make = NIKON CORPORATION<br /> Model = NIKON D2H<br /> Orientation = top/left<br /> X Resolution = 300<br /> Y Resolution = 300<br /> Resolution Unit = inch<br /> Software = Ver.2.01 <br /> Date Time = 2009-01-16 21:31:45<br /> YCbCr Positioning = co-sited<br /> Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 216<br /> <br /> [Camera]<br /> Exposure Time = 1/30"<br /> F Number = F4.2<br /> Exposure Program = Shutter priority<br /> ISO Speed Ratings = 1600<br /> Exif Version = Version 2.21<br /> Date Time Original = 2009-01-16 21:31:45<br /> Date Time Digitized = 2009-01-16 21:31:45<br /> Components Configuration = YCbcr<br /> Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4<br /> Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV<br /> Max Aperture Value = F2.83<br /> Metering Mode = Pattern<br /> Light Source = Fine weather<br /> Flash = Off<br /> Focal Length = 35mm<br /> Maker Note = 27674 Byte<br /> User Comment = Copyright Lex Jenkins 2008 <br /> Subsec Time = 0.87"<br /> Subsec Time Original = 0.87"<br /> Subsec Time Digitized = 0.87"<br /> Flashpix Version = Version 1.0<br /> Color Space = sRGB<br /> Exif Image Width = 2464<br /> Exif Image Height = 1632<br /> Related Sound File = <br /> Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 28554<br /> Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor<br /> File Source = DSC<br /> Scene Type = A directly photographed image<br /> CFA Pattern = [G,B],<br /> [R,G]<br /> Custom Rendered = Normal process<br /> Exposure Mode = Auto exposure<br /> White Balance = Manual white balance<br /> Digital Zoom Ratio = 1x<br /> Focal Length In 35mm Film = 52mm<br /> Scene Capture Type = Normal<br /> Gain Control = Low gain up<br /> Contrast = Normal<br /> Saturation = Normal<br /> Sharpness = Normal<br /> Subject Distance Range = unknown<br /> <br /> [interoperability]<br /> Interoperability Index = ExifR98<br /> Interoperability Version = Version 1.0<br /> <br /> [Thumbnail Info]<br /> Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)<br /> X Resolution = 300<br /> Y Resolution = 300<br /> Resolution Unit = inch<br /> JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 28692<br /> JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 12163<br /> YCbCr Positioning = co-sited<br /> <br /> [Thumbnail]<br /> Thumbnail = 160 x 120</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...for them, we make this sacrifice.</p>

<p>Howard sometimes people want to strip the EXIF data out when they want to hide what camera they're using. In some circles there seems to be a bit of one-upmanship and snobbishness when it comes to the model of camera you use (some people need to get a life!) and people, to avoid that, will post pictures devoid of the information that shows what camera they shot it with.<br>

Also sometimes stock libraries demand images from certain cameras and I've heard stories of photographers who shoot on different cameras but strip the EXIF data out so they can get the images accepted. That one might just be an urban myth though.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

Not to accuse anyone in this thread of doing so, but I heard that it was done to use copyrighted pictures of others without crediting them. I'm glad there are legitimate reasons for doing this. Given my lack of knowledge, it seemed like an odd question.<br>

Thanks for the response.<br>

Howard</p>

<p>Certainly I guess it could be used for stealing pictures but that would be pretty risky and highly illegal, although I'm sure it happens. Another legitimate reason though is when you don't want people to know when a photo was taken. As a travel photographer I sell a lot of generic landscapes and portraits which are basically timeless - as long as you don't know when they were taken. Publishers often seem to want the newest stuff around but sometimes it just isn't relevant. What does it matter if a shot of autumn (fall) leaves was taken six months or six years ago. Taking away the EXIF data helps photos be saleable for longer.<br>

Personally I don't feel the need to do it - and in fact have the date I shot it in my file names - but I can understand why a photographer might want to do it if it gives their picture a longer shelf life.</p>

<p>There is no point in getting rid of the exif data if you are trutfull about your equipment and not pretending to use another equipment. Also, looking at the pixels of the image, we have a pretty good idea of the quality of the photographic equipment uses.<br>

And as for adding copyright info, you can add it in your camera and if not, add it in Photoshop Bridge, there is a tab for that. Go into Tools, then add it in : Create Metadata. Then when you took your photos and have uploaded it to your computer, open Bridge, Tools and then Append Metadata.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>