Capturing a birth

robert_ades1

<p>This is a tough question that doesn't have clear answers. Rather, I'm just looking for advice.<br>

My wife is expecting in two months and I want to play the dual role of supporting her through the birth process as her husband, and photographing the birth whenever I can. So, this question is not only about gear, but also about insights from other parents. I photographed a birth once before for a friend, but this is different because its my own child.<br>

I have a 20D, which has served me well over the years except for the sensor size. I really miss the 24mm x 36mm and truly want a FF camera (such as the 5D or the 5D Mark II). It's time to upgrade, and this is something I want -- but I can be patient and wait a little longer. Naturally, either 5D is expensive at this point, but I can swing it.<br>

The other component is video, and Canon has a great new HD video camera for around $1,200. I've never shot video before, but something tells me that live action can be incredibly valuable in a family setting. The problem is, I can't afford both the 5D AND a video camera. Moreover, I don't want to be distracted with so much gear at the hospital.<br>

I could keep the 20D and buy the video camera, or I could forgo the video camera for now and get the 5D-II and use its video capability. The video, however, is not an ideal solution relative to a true video camera.<br>

Any thoughts about my miscellaneous ramblings would be greatly appreciated.<br>

-Robert Ades</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I filmed my sons birth using video. Video cameras add all the sites and sounds ... so be ready ... I personally believe that composing, focusing, is more intense with a still camera and will cause you to "miss" some of the action.</p>

<p>Be cautious with your shot composition with modesty issues (you may actually want someone to see this in the future without all of your wifes "stuff" exposed)... also check with your birthing center ... as some locations are skiddish with video.</p>

<p><strong>Thomas, </strong> I am concerned about missing the moments by having a camera up to my face. But why is still photography any different than video in this regard? I may get a Panasonic LX-3 because it's so stealthy and doesn't need to be held up to my eye. (In the end, I may be too overwhelmed to take any shot)</p>

<p><strong>Lucasz</strong> , yes my wife and I have discussed it extensively. I know her concerns and I've promised that any photography will take second place to my role as her partner. Moreover, I won't photograph anything overly sensitive. I do, however, want to capture the baby -- both right after birth and throughout her development.</p>

<p>To <strong>Rob</strong> , the last time I did this for a friend, I shot on T-Max 3200 at 1600, and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. In retospect, it was a little too wide, and I'd probably opt for a 35mm f2.0 on a FF body and keep my 24-105L nearby.</p>

<p>1. Pay more attention to her than your equipment.<br /> <br /> 2. No one wants to see anatomy.<br /> <br /> 3. Take a few stills of her in labor at home, and a few more early in the hospital while she is still smiling. Once the hard labor starts, put down the camera.<br /> <br /> 4. Don't push it; you have a finite number of shots you can take before you cross the line. This number is unknowable.<br /> <br /> 5. There is one still you do want, and for my births the OB-GYN took it--that's you holding the baby for the first time--guaranteed keeper.<br /> <br /> 6. You do want video, the sounds/talking are what you are after. Set up a tripod at a right angle to the bed (not looking up the bed--see #2), and start the video. Step-away-from-the-camera. Set your watch to beep for the tape changes. (see #1). Have the tapes all unwrapped and ready to change. Use a real video camera not a 5dMKII (see#1). Consider a low cost mike for the video camera, makes the room noise less hollow.<br /> <br /> 7. If you have more kids make sure to capture their births at least as much, later ones are tempting to blow off. Years later you will have a lot of explaining to #3 about where the video is.</p>

<ol> </ol>

<p>From personal experience (twice in the past 2 1/2 years!), I would second the recommendation to just take the 20D and a fast prime.<br />It was quite a while after the birth before I even remembered I had a camera.<br>

My wife had gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, which can be dangerous to both mother and baby, so perhaps I was a little more pre-occupied during the birth than some. However, it is an overwhelming experience and not the time to be obsessing about camera gear.<br>

Believe me, your wife may be very understanding and happy to entertain your photographic interests, but I'd bet my house that she'd really be delighted if you forgot about that, and focussed on what really matters right now.<br>

My sincere best wishes to all three of you,<br />Matt<br>

PS. You may find that some spare cash comes in handy soon too, babies can be expensive!</p>

<p>I could have used my 1DsMk2 or IDMk2, or 3, or 350D for my sons birth - I chose my wee Canon G9 and kept it in my pocket.</p>

<p>It was discrete, portable, gave great stills in RAW and jpg, and video at the flick a switch. It was not intrusive, and I did not have to think about it, nor worry about exposure - popped on the green mode and forgotten about I was freed to concentrate on my partner and our son.</p>

<p>It allowed me to grab a moment of real emotion as my partner, exhausted, looked in astonishment at the little bundle being placed before her as he reached over and grabbed her finger.</p>

<p>When you get home you wont have the time to faff about with a DSLR so the Canon G9 or its replacement the G10 will be perfect for both you and your partner to use easily, it'll enable moments you'd NEVER have captured to be obtained because its small and light and always there.</p>

<p>Just my 5 cents from recent experience in the past 6 months (with a growing album of G9 images/prints/christmas cards and more)!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you everyone. You're all so right about your advice.<br>

Allow me to shift slightly to post-birth -- I mean, out of the hospital and back home: The first year of life.<br>

How important is video relative to better still gear? Looking back, do you treasure the video, or do you place greater value on the satisfaction and emotion of great still photographs?</p>

<p>Video is really cool, but the problem with it is it takes real time to watch it. As a result, we very seldom watch old videos, but we often get out old pictures to look at or show people. That goes for family events, holidays, disasters, whatever.</p>

<p>YMMV of course, but a well done still picture that captures the emotion and metaphor of an instant is still the best way to capture important moments for us.</p>

<p>[[To <strong>Rob</strong> , the last time I did this for a friend, I shot on T-Max 3200 at 1600, and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. In retospect, it was a little too wide, and I'd probably opt for a 35mm f2.0 on a FF body and keep my 24-105L nearby.]]</p>

<p>I took the 50mm f/1.8 on a Rebel XT also at ISO 1600. It worked well (for me).</p>

<p>It's been a couple of years, but as I recall, my wife made me start shooting. Some of the photo's and video from the first few minutes are the most precious. The still camera just isn't as good at capturing the first cries and grasping hands as the video camera (while is doesn't shown much, I still watch it occasionally, and the grandparents LOVED it). The flip side is that not a single frame of video made it into a frame or onto a wall :-)</p>

<p>As for the first years, I'm a horses for courses person. Try capturing the gait of a toddler on a still frame, ar a laugh, or a first word (some of which has made it onto YouTube for distant relatives). That said, I still use the still camera more, and we've made several books (via Blurb, Shutterfly, etc).</p>

<p>The bottom line for me is that I think video and stills serve different purposes and I'm glad I have the option to look back using both.</p>

<p>Whatever you decide, I hope everyone is safe and healthy!</p>

<p>FYI: I used an XTi with the kit lens (no flash), and a decent Panasonic video camera. We were "high risk", and were moved to an OR just before delivery, so the tripod suggestion wouldn't have worked for me, but the light was great (managed to shoot at ISO 100, f4, 1/30th).</p>

<p><strong><em>"This is a tough question that doesn't have clear answers. Rather, I'm just looking for advice."</em></strong>

<p>At the birth I would use your 20D and a Fast Prime. On a 20D I would use my 24L, but I do not know what lenses you have?<em><strong> (did I miss that information?)<br /><br /></strong></em>I would not use a zoom if I had a suitable prime. I would seriously consider using "P" mode and shoot RAW + JPEG(L), centre weighted average; all AF points active; single shot and choose an ISO to allow about F4 or F5.6 and a SS around 1/100s, if possible. AF will allow you to <em><strong>shoot from the hip</strong></em>, and easily - this ease was a luxury I did not have - you might like to practice the technique. <br /><br />I would buy the video camera if that's what you want. <br /><br />At the Birth and Post Birth video are stills are a different medium - both have their place and can be equally treasured as part of the family's record, IMO.<br /><br />I think it would be very difficult to both video and take stills at the Birth of one's own child. <br /><br />I have two Daughters and have photographed the Birth of both. I used one SLR and a fast prime, slightly wider than a normal FoV (45mm/ F2). <br /><br />I am proficient in cine, and did consider video to record the birth of our first child: after not too much consideration, I decided not to proceed to discuss that option, because of the detailed attention the task would involve, for me: even as a singular task. <br /><br />I have found video an exceptional medium to record the child from about three or four months, onwards, but not at the expense of still photography – especially with a fast Prime Lens. IMO babies and children lend themselves to Available Light Capture – you might have different thoughts.<br /><br />Any other details / decisions are quite between you and your wife.<br /><br />WW</p>

</p>

<p>Okay- I saw this on the main page. I feel that I should make a comment as a woman who had her first child fairly recently. I agree with previous posters who suggested taking a small good quality P&S. That will be more valuable to you during the birthing experience and more discreet. Bring the DSLR too, but I would save it for the after birth shots when everything calms down. The whole birthing process is very intense, especially if it is the first time for both of you. Your wife may want lots of pictures now, but that may change when she is in the thick of things. I thought I wanted lots of photos too, but seeing as I am the one who takes them all, that was difficult to say the least and to be honest I never thought about it while in the midst of labor. I actually was glad that my husband wasn't into taking pictures then. Early labor shots might be okay, but further on she is going to be hot, tired, cranky and if she has an IV then she will swell too. No woman wants photos taken under those circumstances. She will need your support and attention more than the photos. Another advantage to having the P&S is when the staff offers to take a shot of you guys with your new baby they won't be intimidated. The nurse was scared to touch my SLR even though I had set it on Program for my husband. I had to talk her through it. I think video is great once you get home. I wish we had one. It is a different perspective. Just pack a P&S and a light SLR kit, put them on program and don't worry about it too much. I would wait to upgrade the body. Take what you have and are accustomed to using. Being involved in the experience is much more important. There were a few shots I wish I had gotten though, like nursing my son for the first time and the look on my husband's face when he held him for the first time. I was just too tired. ;)<br>

Good Luck! Oh yeah, better stock up on coffee now. Your consumption is going to double. :)</p>

<p>Regards, Katherine</p>

<p>Thank you, Katherine. Based on your posting, and everyone else's, it looks like the LX-3, which is a good low-light P&S might be good (24-60mm, f2.0-2.8, RAW) for discrete shots. If there's a C-section, I can just reach over the curtain and grap a few quickies.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, I'll pack the 20D with my 24-105L and see about a fast prime for taking pictures of the baby post-birth.</p>

<p>Then, perhaps in the spring, I'll explore a 5D when prices have hopefully softened a bit. I was thinking that the shutter of that large mirror might be too much in labor and delivery.</p>

<p>I took pictures when both my son and daughter were born using a Nikon FM, 50mm f/2 lens and 400 speed color negative film. I would certainly not carry anything bigger than that into the delivery room and if I had it to do over again I would use a point and shoot like my little Olympus Stylus Epic or a reliable digital P&S. You can choose either video or stills but you are barely going to have time to do one let alone both. I would stick with stills myself. It's a picture that can be in the photo album for years and emailed around to friends and even included as a still frame in a video about the kid later. But in my experience most people shoot video footage then store it away without ever looking at it more than once or twice. Also, hospitals have opened up to delivery room photography over the years but the pendulum may be swinging back the other way: if anything should go wrong, videotape is evidence they would rather you not have at a malpractice trial, so it may not be as welcome as it once once.</p>

<p>Typically babies don't move too fast, especially newborns, so capturing it shouldn't be hard, Just make sure the cage you put it in has enough ventilation and plenty of food in it. Look for baby wranglers in the yellow pages if you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself.</p>

<p>Sorry, I had to :-)</p>

<p>Video vs. still photos...<br>

If this were 5-10 years ago, I would agree that still photos would easily be more important than video because who wants to sit down and watch a video tape of the kids? How often would that really happen? <br>

But with digital video, and the depth and breadth of the computer's reach into our lives, it is now very convenient for many people to view video clips at a moment's notice. We only bought a video camera about 3 mos. after my son was born but its use was limited to vacations and special events. So the video clips were in chronological spurts. But once P&S cameras started getting better video quality, I started shooting much more video and on a much more regular basis.<br>

And best of all, these days, unless you have pro requirements, you don't need to choose between a camera or camcorder. You can get both features in one device. Or even if your DSLR doesn't shoot video, it's very easy to bring along a small, pocket-sized digital video camera as well. <br>

So definitely make sure you record your child from the beginning. They grow up so, so fast. I make a point of recording my kids' idiosyncracies, like how they mispronounce certain words, or their gestures, or their ideas of how things work (marriage, cars, birth).<br>

My current P&S is a Panasonic LX3. Video is quite good (720HD) and I also like the still image quality. It's the first P&S that I don't mind using at ISO400. That, plus image stabilization and a fast f/2.0 lens make it great (for a P&S) for indoor shooting.</p>

<p>I'd recommend a very small camera. That way, it won't hurt as much when she rams it up your ***. At least, that's what my wife threatened to do to me if I brought a camera of any sort into the delivery room.<br>

I took photos afterwards, with the baby in the crook of mom's arm, in her bassinet, etc. Fast lens and fast film are a must...I chose to not welcome my daughters to the world with a big flash of light.<br>

Nobody regreted the missing photos of my wife's privates. Every couple is different, of course, and you should do what you and your wife think is best...just recognize that she may change her mind, suddenly, vehemently, and possibly proctologically.</p>

<p>Less is more. There is so much going on and your main responsibility is to support, not document. My wife still complains that I brough a camera to the birth of our first, even though I shot almost nothing. Too much going on! If I planned to be the spouse and the documentary photographer I would:<br>

1. Bring a my 20D with a fast 35mm lens. Or maybe a G10. Less is more.<br>

2. Shoot more in early and mid labor and less as labor progressed since I would be needed elsewhere.<br>

3. Plan and grab a few key photos rather than shoot a lot throughout. Less is still more!<br>

4. Be ready to skip all photography if I needed to.<br>

5. Skip the video. Too much else to worry about. I would be are looking images and moments, not a documentary.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Without having read all the responses firstly, CONGRATULATIONS! My husband and I are getting ready to have a little girl who is due beginning of April. My husband too, wants to do some photography but I can say that I want him to be with me more than anything. With that said, we both want pictures taken afterwards, how soon depends on how all 3 of us are feeling! If you def want to do either camera or camcorder I would opt for film, just b/c I think you would miss fewer moments.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you, your wife and the little one on the way! :-)</p>

<p>Anna</p>