UK Nikon users - what are your plans?

Ian Rance

<p>As a relatively new Nikon user and UK resident I have been rather shocked and concerned at the current UK prices for new and used gear. A year ago, I very much enjoyed building up my lenses and accessories and felt that it was a good time to be a Nikon user. I got some really nice items and they set me up so that I was even able to dabble with doing some weddings for friends of friends and the like.</p>

<p>However, due to the economy, price rises and other insecurites it has now become most difficult to even justify buying simple items. The D700 I was pondering on has retreated towards the horizon and out of site. The 24-70 2.8 zoom may as well be only available by personal appointment with the queen. This condition was a worry to me as being enthusiastic and 'just getting seriously started' in the world of photography I do not want my interest to finish or to get into any financial difficulties.</p>

<p>So, after some pondering I have got a plan together to see me over the next year or decade (until it all changes). My plan is:</p>

<p>1. Absolutely no more spending on new Nikon items. Money to be invested in film and processing and the important things in life.</p>

<p>2. Sell what I do not use to raise funds to buy any secondhand items as needed.</p>

<p>3. No eBay spending on any Nikon items - prices are high as a shop and there is no guarantee.</p>

<p>4. Get to know what items I do have much better. I will start with working hard with my 28mm f3.5 H.C and seeing what it's true capabilites are. I bet I will forget all about the new and exotic items once I get going.</p>

<p>Your thoughts are also welcome - is there anthing else I can do? What are you doing?</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>If you've recently moved, you may be in a position to be clever with currency. If you have money outside the UK, you can possibly get a "good price" (in terms of the currency you have) by changing to pounds now, or by buying in the foreign currency.<br>

Also, these things change. Six months ago, I bought a lot of Nikon gear in the USA, when it was $2 to £1. Now it's $1.40, which is pretty nuts. If it swings that far one way, it can swing again (though probably not next week or even in the next few months).<br>

Alternatively, try to get paid in a foreign currency, or find a country where stuff is even cheaper. The Korean Won, for example, is cheaper in pounds than it was before, and you can get some great prices in Korea. Conversely, the Yen is expensive. And you could always buy some gear in Iceland. :)</p>

<p>Getting to know what you've got is a very good plan Ian, but I see you're still using film. This is an ongoing cost of at least 10 quid for every 36 shots, whereas digital costs next-to-nothing per shot after the initial outlay - unless you pay Epson's or Canon's crazy prices for ink of course! (The ink should contain purest Lapis Lazuli, Safron and ground rubies dissolved in Chanel perfume for the price asked.)</p>

<p>Anyway, cheer up Ian, you're lucky to live in the quirky old UK, where there are such things as Camera Fairs held regularly. These are full of mainly secondhand photo equipment that can be bought or traded for sometimes a fraction of the retail price. I'm not saying you can pick up a cheap D700, but there are usually lenses galore at bargain prices. Most "old" Nikkor manual focus lenses go for a song and can be used on the D700 with only the loss of 3D metering (whatever that's supposed to do). They usually give better image quality than their AF versions as well.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments. Martin, I have lived in the UK all my life - sorry about the poor english on my behalf (I have no excuse).</p>

<p>Rodeo, yes I know all to well the high cost of film. I was hoping to get a D700 when the price came down (Shun gave me good advice concerning that camera) but instead of it coming down it has gone up :-(</p>

<p>I may just load up my F3 with some Kodachrome, bobs on the 28mm H.C and head out and forget these bad times for a while (or until the roll runs out).</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Good plan Ian. Keep small and wait this misery out. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm an interest rate derivatives trader and people are falling like flies around us in the City. No D3X this year that's for sure - not with a mortgage, small children and an enormous amount of uncertainty still ahead...</p>

<p>Well James, I am in the electronics industry - fairly safe, however with the cost of everything rising at around the same rate as the cameras we like so much I feel that (with some sadness) that it is time to call a halt to the gear buying.</p>

<p>As I am the sort of person who enjoys a challenge (use to be the challenge of saving for and buying the lenses and accesories) my new challenge is to work much harder with the gear I have. New angles, films to try, places to visit and the pleasure of using equipment that I 100% own rather than that the credit card company owns.</p>

<p>I really am looking forward to working myself much harder and by using the classic prime lenses which we all own and love, I hope to come out of these difficult days a better and (hopefully) happier photographer.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>PS. I have been texted to say that some Kodachromes have come through the post today. Can't wait!</p>

<p>You're right about using gear more. Realistically I have already got more than I need (well, maybe apart from a D3X/hypothetical D800! ) but it is more a question of finding time, inspiration and imagination to get out and take good shots. I am trying to get ideas together for an assault on a Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society which is a seriously stretching endeavour. No new kit is going to help with that problem.<br>

2009 for me will need to be a year of new ideas rather than new equipment.<br>

All the best,<br>

James</p>

<p>Similar boat for me - but this time its lenses. I've been lusting after something in the 70/80-200/210 f2.8 area for a while. So I've just done a mini comparison of my 28-105, 18-200 & 70-210 f4-5.6 at 105mm and f5.6 on the D300. The clear winner was the 70-210 - centre & edge. No CA whatsoever & also the sharpest. Next was the 18-200 - some CA and less sharp. Worst by a mile was the 28-105 - loads of CA & poor sharpness. I have to confess to being surprised - and also pleased that my 38ukp 70-210 was so good. </p>

<p>Ian<br>

I picked up my 24-70 F2.8 from Calumet last year and I guess they would have it stocked. It's worth a try.<br>

A friend of mine wanted to pick up a 70-200 F2.8 and the price shot up between £160 & £225 in various stores and even on ebay!!<br>

James, I agree with you - I'm going to improve my technique and get to know my equipment better this year.</p>

<p>One man's meat is another man's poison... seeing the pound in free fall, I ordered the D300 at Calumet at the end of december and got it for GBP 899,00. That's about 1400 Swiss Francs (CHF), while the lowest offer in Switzerland was around CHF 2000. With prices rising everywhere, this will probably have been the last huge investment in Nikon gear for some time to come. I had a D700 for a few weeks for testing, and while I loved getting my 24mm AIS lens to work as a wide angle again, in the end the results to me were not that much different to have me spend twice the amount of money. DX is fine for me for the time being, in the end it's about taking pictures, not about looking at sensors or film. Enjoy photography, with whatever you own or like!<br>

Holger</p>